Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOP finish

I use these cubitainers: https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Parmer-A...382696&sr=8-13

They're collapsible plastic, come in multiple sizes. Used in laboratory work and sampling. Once open, I decant containers of BLO and Waterlox into them to reduce air exposure.

for storage and use of things like WOP and shine juice, I save the narrow shaker bottles for soy sauce and Worchestershire sauce. Easy to shake to mix if separated and a resealable cap with a small hole to pour just a few drops out for use. When I used plastic the stuff went bad in a few months, in the glass, it lasts years instead.

The idea of displacing the oxygen to extend the can life is good. On occasion, I have injected some propane from a propane torch. It is substantially heavier than air so it "should" work. So should butane. I'm not a chemist, but I suspect that it wouldn't interact with the finish. Interestingly, nitrogen is just slightly lighter than air. But if a person introduces nitrogen and does wait too long, it'll probably do just fine in displacing air (with oxygen). CO2 is similar to propane in its density.

The propane idea is interesting- can anyone think of a reason not to do that? It’s an idea that’s been batted around for a while......

Propane, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and argon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    The propane idea is interesting- can anyone think of a reason not to do that? It’s an idea that’s been batted around for a while......
    Propane does work. One serious caution, of course, is using flammable gases around sparks or flames! Yikes. Read the comment from the Bloxygen people below.

CO2 has also been used in some case. Note that the commercial oxygen displacing Bloxygen now uses pure Argon. But when they started they used a mix of argon, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. From the first can I bought:

bloxygen_contents.jpg

Nitrogen is slightly lighter than pure oxygen but insignificantly less lighter than atmospheric air (which is almost 80% nitrogen - do the math) so it does work, but argon is arguably marginally better. However, the Bloxygen people quit using nitrogen and CO2. From their current FAQs: "CO2? We use ultra pure Argon because it's totally inert. CO2 is okay, but it's not totally inert and will react with water to form carbonic acid. "

Their comment about propane: "What about Propane? No. Just NO. This is dangerous."

You can read the Bloxygen FAQs here. Keep in mind that they are in the business of touting their product!
    http://www.bloxygen.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

JKJ