Thread: Dewalt 733 planer blade change

Dewalt 733 planer blade change

My Dewalt planer is overdue for a blade change. Would I be inviting trouble if I use an impact drive to REMOVE the bolts that hold the blade on? I've seen other posts where they were difficult to loosen and the corners of the bolt head got rounded off. I'm also dealing with some elbow issues on the dominant arm, so the extra boost from the driver might be useful. I would re-install them only by hand and with a torque wrench.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Could you even get an impact wrench in there? It’s at most 6” high right? Or can you access from the top somehow?

I just changed the blades in my 735 for the first time. Turned out not that bad of a deal, just take your time, be patient. I don't see why you can use the impact drive to loosen them. But, same as if by hand, keep the pressure on to avoid rounding out the screw heads. I see same concern either way. Best of luck.

I have a 734 which I think is pretty much the same planer. changing blades is not difficult at all. Mine uses a Torx or Allen wrench (it has been awhile). Blades are indexed with holes. They also are double edged so you only have to flip them the first time. I do not think using an impact to loosen them would be a problem as long as the bit used is good and you are careful to fully engage it.

Blog Entries
    I have to ask; have you tried the included wrench yet or are you just anticipating trouble? Has the machine been stored somewhere that would cause the bolts to lock up?

Depending on your finesse with the impact you could be fine. I have learned to use an impact to knock the screws loose on my insert cutter head but, do not install them this way. I also do not impact-away if the fastener doesn't come loose immediately. Liquid wrench and some gentle taps and torque are your friends if things are stuck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the replies. In all honesty, I haven't even looked at it yet with the intent to change them, I was just thinking about it because it's on the to-do list in the next week or so. Before I grabbed an impact wrench and made a mess, I thought I would ask around and see what I might learn, especially in case there were a lot of "DON"T DO ITs." As Matt pointed out, I may not even be able to get the impact driver in there.

I have a 733 and just changed the blades. You won't get an impact wrench in there. The supplied wrench should be fine. I had 1 that was stuck, I did a few taps with and freed it up. The screws aren't bad. Next time I change I may switch to cap head screws, the previous owner must have lost 2 of the originals.

If those bolts are set screws, use a vacuum cleaner and a soda straw to suck any dust out. The allen wrench will seat better in the screw. Also, there will be no dust in the threads to fight you as you loosen the set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bundy View Post
    My Dewalt planer is overdue for a blade change. Would I be inviting trouble if I use an impact drive to REMOVE the bolts that hold the blade on? I've seen other posts where they were difficult to loosen and the corners of the bolt head got rounded off. I'm also dealing with some elbow issues on the dominant arm, so the extra boost from the driver might be useful. I would re-install them only by hand and with a torque wrench.
    There is a wrench included, stored in the yellow top cover. It has magnets to handle blades.

I have used that to replace blades. It's pretty simple and takes less than 15 mins. Screws are not that tight. If need be you can use impact drive but be careful to not roundoff the screw heads.

It's been a while since I changed the blades on my 733. Buy a replacement set first. I think I got my last set on Amazon. To the best of my recollection the blades on the 733 are one sided, not double edged like the 734. That was probably the big change between the 733 and 734. As Bryan said, all you need should be under the cover. I've done it twice since I bought it new and it was a simple procedure with the magnetic guides they supplied.

Thanks for all of the input. Lots of good advice as usual. Hopefully, Murphy's Law hasn't tightened those bolts too much; he usually sticks his nose into my projects. One of the reasons I was asking about using the impact driver.