Thread: Miter Saw Advice

Question Miter Saw Advice

After over a decade, by 10" non-sliding Ridgid CMS has finally cut its last board. Parts aren't available and, even if they were, it's probably not worth repairing.

I've been reading the various threads here from the last year, as well as other research, and I've started spinning my wheels. So I'm reaching out to all the smart people here in hopes that you can help me get un-stuck.

My needs aren't really that fancy (I think). Here's the list of MUST HAVES:
    - 60 degree miter to the right (this has been my biggest sticking point)
    - 30 degree bevel (which everything has)
    - Price of $600 US or less before taxes (so no Festool, and the lower price the better)
    - AC powered

That's it as far as requirements. I'd prefer non-slider due to space issues, but haven't found one with the 60 degree right cut. I'd prefer to stay with a 10" saw because I already have an investment in blades.

These are the top contenders right now, but they're all sliders.
    - The Metabo 10" C3610DRAQAM is on sale for $399. I haven't seen a lot of reviews, so wondering if someone here has hands-on experience.
    - Both the Bosch CM10GD and Makita LS1019L are on the list, have decent (but mixed) reviews, and are at the top of the budget.

If anyone knows of a 10" non-sliding CMS with 60 degrees to the right (from a reputable brand), please let me know.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

Out of the three you mentioned, I would go with Makita first, then Bosch. I would stay away from metabo mitre saws. Never liked them much.

Metabo = Hitachi, which is one heck of a pedigree if they kept the genes of the old saws. I was killing time at the lumber yard this morning actually, looking at that Metabo saw. I may buy one just to try it out. Super price, I'm intrigued. I do have the Makita 1019, it's a good saw. I also have an old 1013 that I prefer though. The 1013 has more power and I like the table better. I don't like the Bosch CMS, they are a little delicate for what I do with mine. Probably fine for a saw that gets left in the shop though.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Schaefer View Post
    After over a decade, by 10" non-sliding Ridgid CMS has finally cut its last board. Parts aren't available and, even if they were, it's probably not worth repairing.
    And if you had filled out the LSA, would Ridgid be giving you a new saw? I'm waiting for this to happen, along with the lawsuits for breach of contract.

Dewalt makes the DWS780 with 60 degrees cut to the right 50 degrees to the left. It is a 12 inch slider and runs about 600 dollars. The DWS779 is the same saw minus the laser for 400 bucks. I know Lowe's carried the laserless model because a buddy picked one up at Christmas when they were running the free stand with any miter saw deal.

@Bruce Wrenn, I think I did fill out the LSA - but that was a decade and several email addresses ago. I'm planning to reach out to them on Monday and hope that they can find my registration. But I'm not optimistic. Per the Ridgid website: "normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty" - and I'm thinking they'll claim the motor is wear & tear.
    Sanity is like a parachute. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can take mine.

@Scott and @Steve-
    Thanks for the info. I think the Makita is the winner, even though I'll have to order it sight unseen (no local stock). I'm hopeful that this will be as good a tool as my other Makita - an old 2030N Jointer / Planer.

@John-
    Unfortunately, I just don't have the room for a 12" conventional (non-flush rear) SCMS.

I’d definitely skip the Bosch. I owned one for a bit when it first came out. At first it seems like a great design, it after some time I could no longer square the saw. There’s more play in the reticulating arm with use than they let on. We couldn’t adjust the saw enough to keep it accurate all the time.

I filled out my registration back in 2006, when I purchased a 24V kit; Drill, Saw-z-all, and flashlight.
    I collected new battery's and charger last year.
    No questions asked.
    The 24V kit has been discontinued since my original purchase, but they did send me 18V battery's that they said would work just fine and were actually a longer lasting battery than my old 24V were.

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Schaefer View Post
    @Bruce Wrenn, I think I did fill out the LSA - but that was a decade and several email addresses ago. I'm planning to reach out to them on Monday and hope that they can find my registration. But I'm not optimistic. Per the Ridgid website: "normal wear & tear is not considered a "defect" and is not covered by the RIDGID Lifetime Warranty" - and I'm thinking they'll claim the motor is wear & tear.

That's exactly why I print out my Ridgid dashboard. Helps to jog their memory. Ridgid quit offering lifetime warranty many years ago, and replaced it with the LSA. LSA says they will fix it, or replace it, their choice. In the not to distant future, I think you will see some class action lawsuits on their LSA, with HD included as a defendant.

John - you might consider the Metabo C12RSH2M, available at Lowe's. It's a 12" dual bevel sliding saw. It's got a fixed depth rail system that doesn't stick out in the back. I've got one that I'm quite happy with. It doesn't quite go to 60 degrees to the right.... it goes to 57. The wide crosscut capacity is nice. I've been able to cut PERFECT miters on mine with a decent blade, though I don't remember which one is on the saw right now.

Just food for thought - good luck with your decision!

Matt

P.S. I've also been quite satisfied with my Ridgid 18v cordless tools. They repaired the switch on my reciprocating saw at a semi-local shop while I waited, replaced two batteries, and replaced a charger with a newer dual chemistry charger. They were able to find my very old, original registration from about 13 years ago with a simple phone call. All of those tools now appear on my dashboard along with some new ones that I recently purchased.
    Last edited by Matthew King; 08-21-2020 at 7:49 AM.