Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrome Vanadium blade

Why doesn't LN or LV use this steel in their chisels?
    I assume its a cutting metal which has been trumped by the more common A2, O1 used today?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Why doesn't LN or LV use this steel in their chisels?
    I assume its a cutting metal which has been trumped by the more common A2, O1 used today?
    Chrome Vanadium steel is generally used on drop-forged chisels. Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen do not have drop forge capacity. They machine their chisels from blanks, so they tend to use steels that machine well.

Chrome vanadium is used for Pheil (Swiss made) carving tools, Two cherries, Aldis and others.

Blog Entries
    According to > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_s...old-work_group < O1 steel has some chrome and may have vanadium.

Also see > http://www.hocktools.com/tech-info/toolsteel.html < for more information.

Our choice of High-Carbon Tool-Steel (.95% Carbon: either O1, our "high carbon" or A2) offers the finest, sharpest edge possible. Its chromium and vanadium additions amount to only 1/2% each allowing quick, clean honing with traditional techniques. High-carbon steel holds and takes an edge better than anything else. We guarantee it.
    The more one looks at all of this the more confusing it is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My Craftsman chisels are marked as being chrome vanadium if my memory can be trusted.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Calling something a chrome vanadium steel tells us very little about it. You really need to understand the complete composition to understand a steel grade.

Makes sense Larry...
    Devil is always in the details...
    and we never seem to get more than the marketing hype...