Thread: Two bedside tables based on a Thos Moser design

Two bedside tables based on a Thos Moser design

I've recently finished a project to fill in time during Covid19 social distancing to make two new bedside tables based on a lamp table I made a couple of years ago.
    table1.jpg

I constructed the lamp table following a drawing in Thos Moser's "How To Build Shaker Furniture" but subsequently found a variety of articles with similar plans around the web. They all however were side tables with just a single drawer.

For this project I wanted two drawers so I played around with one of the design sketches and cut and pasted a second drawer on the plan and decided the overall dimensions would still be quite pleasing so went ahead with the build.
    plan2drawer.jpg

Being in Australia I have used a local cabinet timber called "Maple Silkwood", a native tree of North Queensland, finished with Danish Oil and wax. As usual I had a few hiccups along the way in the build, but I think it all came together well in the end.

drawers.jpg

finished.jpg

Blog Entries
    Those line drawing proportions have always seemed a bit off to me. Seeing your rendition I take it all back. Those look great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nicely done!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Great looking tables...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Franklin, unique and attractive tables, with excellent function. How did you hand the joinery for the side aprons, with the added width due to two drawers?

Thanks all. When I made the first table I was also a bit worried about how delicate the legs might look but was pleased with the way they turned out! For the latest tables I worried that by decreasing the length available to taper in the legs the proportions might change enough to look unbalanced but I'm happy with the outcome.

I decided to twin tenon the sides like I had seen in some drawings for Hunt Boards. I decided to rough out the tenon cheeks on the table saw with a knock up sled, but cut the rest by hand.
    tenonSled2.jpg
    twinTenon.jpg

Very nice work.
    Charlie Jones

I thought they were made of cherry until I read your write-up. In any case, I think Moser would be pleased with your adaption. They are very attractive, indeed, and the finish looks perfectly suited to the style.

John

I've built these same tables along with some variations. Nice work! I love Moser's designs and have almost all of his books. The fact that he even published plans/diagrams in some of the books is an incredible boon to so many of us who admire the work and want to build our own versions for our homes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great design and well made. I haven’t built a double drawer table yet...but I think I may have to steal this design for a future project. Thanks for sharing.