Thread: Backlash adjustment for my table saw

Backlash adjustment for my table saw

I just sent my 2 most popular blades out for sharpening, so I thought it is a good time for a tune up. After cleaning and lubricating everything, I noticed a little backlash in the blade raising assembly. A couple of things, how important is it to the overall accuracy of the saw and it's a bit daunting since the instructions in the manual are vague at best. There doesn't seem to be any backlash in the tilt mechanism.

Recommendations anyone?
    Last edited by Jim Allen; 07-24-2020 at 6:57 PM.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

If it is under 1/4 turn I would not worry about it. Always raise the blade up into the work then lock it down. Lowering the blade and locking down may allow some downwards creep from gravity.
    The adjustment is most likely a collar on a shaft with the gear on it. The collar could be at either end but I would guess at the gear end.
    If you decide to adjust the backlash first clean all the gear teeth and bearing fits. then play with the collar. This could affect the 90 degree stop if you do the tilt gearing. Take you time to clear the gunk out of the setscrew hex recess before applying any torque or you risk stripping out the recess and causing you a ton of grief. I use dental picks and penetrating oil if needed.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    What make and model saw? My saw (and the one before it) has an eccentric adjustment to assure a good fit.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bill, I spent a good deal of time cleaning all the gears etc. I agree that the last adjustment to the height should be in the up direction, just like my drill press.
    Glenn, I have a 2012 Craftsman Professional Hybrid, which they no longer even acknowledge that it ever existed. Almost every tool I ever I ever owned was a Craftsman, I'm so sorry now, they have gone into the dump, I blame Sears, of course but that's another story.

When I moved here from So. Cal. (2007) I bought a Craftsmans table saw, I also bought an extended warranty, at the end of the warranty there was a problem with the lift mechanism that could have been fixed with a 50 cent spring, who ever built that saw quit helping Sears/Craftsman so I got the new saw (wonder why they are on the brink of failure).
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Glenn, I have a 2012 Craftsman Professional Hybrid, which they no longer even acknowledge that it ever existed. Almost every tool I ever I ever owned was a Craftsman, I'm so sorry now, they have gone into the dump, I blame Sears, of course but that's another story.
    If the innards are like my old Craftsman/Orion 22124 hybrid this may help:

22124 backlash detail.JPG

If that is the same, a lot more could be too. I would gladly email you the manual. PM me an email that accepts attachments, do not post your email here ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler