Thread: Lacquer Finish Soft

Lacquer Finish Soft

Hi all,

I recently started spraying a lacquer and about 2 weeks later I'm still finding the finish to be soft using a fingernail test
    I'm hoping you guys can advise me on how to achieve a harder finish or where I went wrong

The finish I used is as follows,
    1) sanded walnut to 200 grit
    2) applied a dye stain and let it dry 24 hrs
    3) used Zinsser seal-coat sanding sealer and gave it a light sanding with 400 grit once dry
    4) 3 coats of Mohawk pre-cat lacquer

Thank You

Welcome to SMC, Joe.

Are you sure the finish is soft and it's not just the walnut underneath? Walnut is not very hard. If it is indeed the finish that's soft my guess is the finish was old or you sprayed the coats too heavy.

John

Thanks John,

I used the same lumber with a Poly and did not experience the same problem.
    Coats were all thin and I just purchased the lacquer but it's interesting with respect to expiration.
    Didn't think these products expire and if so, curious if the container has a label expiration.

Really appreciate the feedback and Thank You

Did you use the associated Mohawk products for reducing/thinning? I see you used shellac as a sealer instead of the Mohawk product. Many solvent-based lacquer products can be picky relative to compatibility with reducing/thinning and base coats. And yea...layering it on too thickly per coat can sometimes be an issue, too. And then there is weather/humidity. Fun stuff!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank for the assistance,

The dyes were water based and General Finishes brand
    I only thinned the seal-coat by 50% with paint thinner (1 coat)
    The lacquer was sprayed using the Mohawk spray can pre-cat product

I was told by someone the Seal-coat is too soft for a sealer beneath Lacquer
    The same person also told me not to use Seal-coat beneath even a poly because you want the poly to be partially absorbed into the wood and the Seal-coat prevents that from happening

Really like Seal-coat but does this make sense to you guys?

Thanks again

Joe, the reducer/solvent for Sealcoat is DNA, not paint thinner. That right there may be one factor in your experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paint thinner as in mineral spirits or as in lacquer thinner? If you used lacquer thinner it should be fine, but not if you used mineral spirits.

You can use Sealcoat, applied properly, under nearly any topcoat. I've been using it under all manner of different waterborne clearcoats for over 10 years with zero issues. I don't thin it; I spray it straight from the can. It's only a 2# cut to start with. There's no argument from me that applying the topcoat directly to raw wood will give a great bond. I choose to use Sealcoat first because it greatly reduces the grain raising that often happens with waterbornes are applied directly to raw wood. With solvent based finishes, which I don't use, that would be less of a concern.

Of course, using the manufacturer's entire system is always the safest approach.

John

Thanks Guys, very helpful

I thought you could only use vinyl sanding sealer under pre-cat. It has to do with the catalyst. Mohawk says to use vinyl or high solids pre-cat sealer. Also you have to be careful not to exceed the recommended thickness of pre-cat.