Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help buying my first bandsaw(s)

Blog Entries

Help buying my first bandsaw(s)

Hey everyone,
    I am new to this forum but have researched through it for a while. What a great resource. I need y’all’s advice.
    I am an amateur/beginner woodworker but truly value quality tools. My understanding wife has allowed me to try to purchase “forever” tools this year. Again, I’m an amateur but hate buying cheap tools twice, when I could have purchased a quality one once.
    I have zero bandsaw experience but want to buy correctly. Here is what I’m looking for: if you were in my shoes, knowing what y’all know, what bandsaw would you get if you could get any one? Is it a better idea to plan on 2, as oppose to 1 - setting up a re-saw and detail separately, and if so, what’s the dream combo?
    I currently am configuring one side of my 2-car garage for all of this, but we will only be here for another 3 years or so. I’m not completely concerned with the footprint of the bandsaw(s), because I don’t want this small space to determine my decision. I’m pretty set on most of the other major tools. I have been exploring the PM1500 bandsaw, but I want your expert opinions. I would like to not be limited on what I can do, when I start learning more about this beautiful hobby. Thanks so much!

Hi Todd. I had a Jet 14" bandsaw with riser block for >10 years and recently upgraded. At first I was looking at the PM1500 but ended up going with a Minimax S440p. I can't even begin to describe the difference in overall quality between the Jet and this saw. Resawing used to be a very slow frustrating process and I am incredibly pleased with the results I have obtained so far with the Minimax. It is not a cheap saw and weighs almost 500 lbs, but I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade this. Good luck!

Questions like this are hard, because not everyone defines "forever tool" the same way, and what you'll need/want depends on what kind of work you'll do. You might get at the first issue by telling us what other "forever" tools you have purchased or are considering (to give some context on what "level" you consider to be a forever tool). For the second, describe the kind of work you envision doing with your forever setup.

Best,

Dave

The ideal setup will be different for everyone and the nature of projects certainly comes into play. If you have the funds, are serious about your woodworking and anticipate doing larger, more involved projects over time. the "ideal" may very well be a big saw with a stiff spine that can power through thick stuff and be accurate for resawing including thick veneers complimented by a smaller saw for "scroll" work and general small cutting with narrow blades. If you can only buy one and can afford the big saw, then know that a big saw CAN take a narrow blade, even though it's not always ideal for that. (flat rather than crowned tires, etc.) And you can start with a smaller, quality 12-14" saw and add the big iron later. Only you can make the decision that best suits YOUR needs and plans.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thank you both already. A few of the tools I have gotten so far that I would put in the same category with the bandsaw are: Sawstop PCS 3hp, PM 2800b drill press, PM 60HH 8” jointer. Could I upgrade to something someday, sure - but it’s going to be a while.
    I picture myself doing quite a bit of furniture-style works initially, and building my skills up through that school of thought. . I would like to get a lathe someday, but I’m not in a huge rush to go down mega-turning anytime soon. Does that help at all?

As an owner of four bandsaws, my suggestion is to get a Rikon 10-326, as the first one. If you really want a little more beast of a machine than that one, get an MM16.

Sounds like you are trying to buy all the tools that you think you might need based on others advice. I would caution against this way of doing things. Slow down and buy what you need as you need it. Learn how to use the tools as you buy them,master one before collecting the next. Also would suggest buying used stuff as much as possible,no one knows exactly what they want the first time. If you need to upgrade you can always sell stuff and get most if not all of your cash back. For a bandsaw I like Tom's advice above. Check out Grizzly 513 and 514 saws as well. I would buy a 17-18'' wheel size,they are far more versatile than the smaller 14'' saws.

Well if I were in your shoes and no limits on budget nor floor space and I would go after the Agazzani. I have never use one before,nor seen one in person but watching few Youtubes I see that some of the pro's use this BS. Since I never use one before and you never use a BS before we are kinda even so this BS would be my forever BS. I own PM 141,143,Delta/Milwaukee 14", Crescent 20,36 and a PM 87 over the yrs. I still would get the Agazzani. Good luck and with all these good suggestion you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-25-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed link to forum

If you think you're going to have room for 2 bandsaws in your new shop I would look for a used 14" Delta cast iron bandsaw. It'll be a good starting point and most likely you'll use it even if you get a larger one down the road. They appear quite often on Craig's list and you should be able to get one for not a lot of money. My personal opinion on the PM1500 is it's a lot of money for what it brings to the table. For $1000 less you could get a Laguna BX18 or a Grizzly 514X2 type of saw with larger wheels (which means more cutting width capacity). With the 14" Delta option you could revisit getting a larger saw down the road when you do move into the new shop. By then you'll also have a greater understanding of what you're needs are.

The biggest problem with starting a hobby like this is seeing into the future. With what you listed I would be looking into a planer (if you don't have one). A 15" 4 post would probably be all you need but if you're thinking of a forever tool then stepping up to a 20" kind of makes sense. But a 18" used Powermatic (PM180) would be a nice forever tool. Since you have a jointer a jointer/ planer combo doesn't make too much sense. Dust collection and sanding would be places I would also be thinking about.

As Mike Kees said, try not to plan too far in the future. Get the few key pieces and learn how to use them. Usually (IMO) I would suggest a table saw, a jointer, and a planer. You can expand from there. You may find that what you like to do requires a mortiser and the drill press isn't going to cut it. Or you might find an oscillating spindle sander would really help with the sanding of curved furniture pieces.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all again. This is such a great resource, and I do appreciate the opinions of other with more experience. I know this topic is a can of worms.
    I love buying high quality used tools and have found some gems in my past. I would actually prefer that if possible.
    I recently saw a listing on CL for a Laguna LT18 (Drift Master, 2 Resaw King blades, mobile base) for $2,200. I also see several of the older Delta 14” saws that have been refurbished for around $500. I’m always looking but trying to dial in my focus to be ready to negotiate. That why I like asking people that know more than me. Thank y’all again

Blog Entries
    I have a Jet 14 with riser block and have no issues. Maybe your blades were not good.

My personal opinion is I would buy that LT18 in a heart beat over the Powermatic as long as it was in good shape. I believe that it's an Italian made saw. I looked at a used one but waited too long and someone else scooped it up. While the PM will fit in fine in a commercial shop that LT18 is made for heavy use and much wider blades.

Blog Entries
    I have a few. The main users are a 17" with a carbide blade for resaw and a 10" for quick cuts and curves. I'm waffling on thinning the herd. One thing I will add to your can of worms; I have never wished for LESS power at the bandsaw. 2 - 3 HP on a 14" machine is not a bad thing ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would suggest somewhere around a 17” saw as a reasonable all round saw. I also have a 20” saw.

I use the saw for breaking down timbers, sawing logs into planks, re-saving, making veneer and cutting curves.

A saw in the 17” range will do all that well.

My brother has a hammer N4400 which he is very pleased with.....Both of my saws are no longer in production, a used older commercial saw can be a good choice depending upon condition....Rod

Jim, On flat tire saws like the MM16, they recommend placing the blade so the teeth extend slightly beyond the front edge of the tire, different from the center tire placement on crowned tires, right? When mounting a narrow blade (1/4") on a flat tire saw like the MM16, where on the tire should the blade be placed?