Thread: Davis and Wells Table Saw

Davis and Wells Table Saw

Hello Forum. I have the opportunity to get a very old Davis & Wells 12" Table Saw with a a PM Accufence...of course used but in working condition. I have spent over 40 hours so far looking for more info on this saws or a manual and cannot find anything. Not even on OWWM or Vintage Machinery, etc. Anybody own or owned that saw before and can help . From the pic, it looks like the table top is flat but that is all i know. 2hp single phase belt driven motor. I hope to tear down and clean up, lubricate, etc and bring back to life for my new but very small woodworking venture. I dont even know if there is a need to align the blade to table, etc. Hope some people here can help. Want to pick it up this weekend if possible for $375 and about 100miles away.

Thanks

9407_1.jpg9407_1.jpg
    Last edited by Baba Laisi; 07-24-2020 at 3:08 PM. Reason: clean up

Did you check vintagemachinery.org? It appears the site is down right now but try again later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Did you check vintagemachinery.org? It appears the site is down right now but try again later tonight.

Yes I did. It has been a long journey and i am going crossed eyed spending so much time in front of a computer screen. Please help....

I have a Davis and Wells table saw smaller version or it’s little brother. Dan would know anything you need to know about the saw.The web site is down but there’s a number hopefully it reaches Dan.
    Mine will take a 10 and 12 inch blade. That one will take a 12 and 14.
    I like my so much there’s isn’t many saws of that era 1960s that I would trade.
    Quite,smooth everything holds its settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 07-24-2020 at 6:37 PM.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I have a Davis and Wells table saw smaller version or it’s little brother. Dan would know anything you need to know about the saw.The web site is down but there’s a number hopefully it reaches Dan.
    Mine will take a 10 and 12 inch blade. That one will take a 12 and 14.
    I like my so much there’s isn’t many saws of that era 1960s that I would trade.
    Quite,smooth everything holds its settings.

Hello Andrew. Thanks so much for that reply. The one i am looking at is a 12 blade but with the motor hanging out from the back. I for some reason cannot see the image you attached to your reply. Sawmill said i do not have access to that page.
    May I ask if you restored or refurbished the one you have and if so, how intricate was it. And, what and how is the blade alignment process for your saw.
    And Yes, i tried going to... davisandwells.com and the page said it does not exist. Do you happen to have a phone number for Dan?
    Really looking for help to see if i should schedule to pick it up or not before it is sold.

Thanks

Pick it up already. For that money you can't go wrong. To see pictures you have to pay to become a contributor,minimum of $6 bucks a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Pick it up already. For that money you can't go wrong. To see pictures you have to pay to become a contributor,minimum of $6 bucks a year.
    Okay Mike. Thanks for the heads up. Paid the money and now can see the image that Andrew sent. You also said to pick it up already, do you have one of these saw? If so, any more info you can share with me...please . Thanks

Baba, I belong to a local woodworkers club. Last weekend we had a virtual shop tour with a Krenov School student who proudly featured her Davis and Wells saw, saying it is her favorite machine. She might be able to help you locate some technical information. I don't want to let out her contact information without checking with her first. I don't know her but I can go through the club organizer to ask if she would be willing to correspond with you. Are you interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Baba, I belong to a local woodworkers club. Last weekend we had a virtual shop tour with a Krenov School student who proudly featured her Davis and Wells saw, saying it is her favorite machine. She might be able to help you locate some technical information. I don't want to let out her contact information without checking with her first. I don't know her but I can go through the club organizer to ask if she would be willing to correspond with you. Are you interested?

Oh Yes!!!. Very interested. And you can also send me a Private Message with the contact if it is okay with her. Please do

Sure looks like this saw.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=36980

Guessing the front of the cabinet was cut out to shovel out dust buildup.

Man, Andrew, that is a good looking saw!
    When you say it's quiet and smooth, is that because you have it well tuned up and balanced, or due to innate qualities of how the saw is engineered?

How would you compare the D&W saw to a Unisaw?

Mark

I never knew the maker made it past line shaft babbit bearing machines. Weren't they in LA?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Man, Andrew, that is a good looking saw!
    When you say it's quiet and smooth, is that because you have it well tuned up and balanced, or due to innate qualities of how the saw is engineered?

How would you compare the D&W saw to a Unisaw?

Mark
    Thanks Mark both the unisaw and D&W have their merits. I wouldn’t even try to compare.
    When I bought mine for 250$ it was in a sad condition. So I did put a lot of time and effort in it.
    If your thinking of looking getting one they do come show up on Craigslist. There’s one in La Brea looks a lot like the one Baba asked about.
    Ive also seen them with a Oliver badge.
    I also remember
    Dan mentions they are heavy built much more then mine.
    @ Bill, Davis and Wells made the saw in Lynwood California. Dan downsized over the past couple years.
    Hes a good guy helped me a lot wish I could have supported his business more.
    Here the a D&W with a Oliver badge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

That's an interesting solution to dust collection. I wonder if it works.

Baba,

Vintagemachinery.org only has one large D&W listed in the "Publication Reprints" section - it's for their 16" saw, which looks quite similar to the pictures you posted.

Here's a link to the catalog page: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=926

Good luck!

Eric