Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you flatten your workbench?

Not to go off on a tangent (but I am), I'm building my first large project right now on the bench I made last year. Although the top edge of the tool tray I included is perfectly aligned with the bench top, I'm just too messy and stuff in the tray is constantly in the way of moving the construct around. Going to remove the tray, extend the top and resolve to put things away.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent (but I am), I'm building my first large project right now on the bench I made last year. Although the top edge of the tool tray I included is perfectly aligned with the bench top, I'm just too messy and stuff in the tray is constantly in the way of moving the construct around. Going to remove the tray, extend the top and resolve to put things away.
    Bill,

That can be a problem with tool trays, and yes mine does the same thing. And yes on an earlier bench I took the tool tray off and made another slab. After a couple of months working sans tool tray I replaced the replacement slab with the tool tray and every bench built since has had a tool tray. You either can't live with 'em or you can't live without 'em. There is not a lot of in between.

BTW, good luck on the the resolution. Back in my flying days I noticed there were two types of mechanics. The first was each tool had a place and each tool in its place, if the tool was not in its place they were lost. The second would just drop the tool when finished with it and when the tool was needed again would just pick it up if and this was a big if no one had moved the tool. If that happened they were lost.

Using tool trays depends on what kind of mechanic you are.

ken

This is part of the reason my tool tray is at the end of my bench. I get a large working surface and the only time it comes into play is with long boards. Even then, the tools that stick up are positioned so that I can typically avoid them, or only need to remove one tool. The tool tray is deep enough for the other plethora of tools to sit below the surface of the bench. The tray is offset lower than the bench top by a little under half an inch to allow for a couple decades of bench resurfacing before I have to resurface the tray along with it.

tray1.jpg
    tray2.jpg

Going off on another tangent: to those here that have a shop large enough to have a second bench, what size and style is that second bench? I have a 4' X 4' bench, heavy enough with that footprint, to do all the tasks I do on my other bench (30" X 72").
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Just for kicks, I took a picture of how my bench looks right now. Stuff that ends up in the tray are 1) Things that would make me cry if they fell off the table (LN Bronze plane, dovetail saw, fretsaw) and 2) things that like to roll (mallet, marking gauge). I also have a small box for the tiny things (6" ruler, marking knife, pencil, small square).

I would be lost without my tool tray. But I've always had it so I don't know any different.

IMG_20200716_070752 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Going off on another tangent: to those here that have a shop large enough to have a second bench, what size and style is that second bench? I have a 4' X 4' bench, heavy enough with that footprint, to do all the tasks I do on my other bench (30" X 72").
    Tony,

Small shop but lots of workbenches. I have four on the floor and one stacked in the corner of the shop. Out in the back garden are two more. On the floor of the shop are three Moravian style benches and one French/English. The bench stacked in the corner is a portable Moravian. Of the three Moravian benches one is a portable that is used as a sharpening bench, the other two are full sized benches in daily use.

I'd love to shed a couple (My son-in-law may take one home the next time they visit) because I have the hardware to build another full sized Moravian with some slight changes I want to try.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Tony,

Small shop but lots of workbenches. I have four on the floor and one stacked in the corner of the shop. Out in the back garden are two more. On the floor of the shop are three Moravian style benches and one French/English. The bench stacked in the corner is a portable Moravian. Of the three Moravian benches one is a portable that is used as a sharpening bench, the other two are full sized benches in daily use.

I'd love to shed a couple (My son-in-law may take one home the next time they visit) because I have the hardware to build another full sized Moravian with some slight changes I want to try.

ken
    Ken, are Moravian benches like potato chips?

All benches are like potato chips! They are the ultimate tool!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Ken, are Moravian benches like potato chips?
    Tony,

That and JNATs,

ken

Tony, I would like to build a 2' x 2' heavy Ruobo type auxiliary bench with a leg type vise to be used primarily for joinery work. That bench would be in the 40" tall or so range to ease my lower back from bending for extended periods when doing close work as well as to bring the work up to my aging eyes. Space in my shop is very tight, so I need to re arrange some big items to open that spot up near to my main bench. I do use a Moxon to raise stuff for sawing, but chisel work could stand to be brought up to a higher elevation. One bench is not enough.
    David

Since I have heart trouble, I would use an electric jack plane to flatten a work bench. On a very fine setting I can get excellent results with my Bosch. I made an attachment for mine which I can hook it up to a shop vac with. Failing that, or when I’m doing something away from the shop vac, I just tape a plastic grocery bag to the exhaust which works fine. I can finish up with my Fein half sheet sander. They are quite expensive, but at 21,000 rpm, they cut like crazy.

My main bench is 22 years old and I have flattened it three times. I live with season changes until I can't and then go to town. It gets oiled and waxed to keep glue at bay. It is hard maple at the front and the last 14" at the back are soft maple, this part moves the most.