Thread: AVG AntiVirus FREE

Blog Entries

AVG AntiVirus FREE

Why do the anti virus programs become a virus? Yesterday, somehow, AVG AntiVirus FREE was installed on my computer. Never asking for my admin password. Of course my first indication was that it wanted me to update to the paid version. I said no, but it is still there. I just inserted a stick drive and it popped up asking if I wanted to scan it. Betting it won't uninstall easily. It now shows on my Win 10 program list as recently added. Surprisingly it appears to be popular legit anti virus program. Ugh.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-24-2020 at 9:55 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    That's a little more than annoying. I hope it's not as difficult to remove as Norton used to be years ago. The only way to completely get rid of it was to reformat & reinstall Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Why do the anti virus programs become a virus? Yesterday, somehow, AVG AntiVirus FREE was installed on my computer. Never asking for my admin password. Of course my first indication was that it wanted me to update to the paid version. I said no, but it is still there. I just inserted a stick drive and it popped up asking if I wanted to scan it. Betting it won't uninstall easily. It now shows on my Win 10 program list as recently added. Surprisingly it appears to be popular legit anti virus program. Ugh.
    I suspect that maybe you installed another program and AVG was piggybacked to it. If the case then you need to uncheck a box to prevent its installation. Seen it many times and it is very annoying. Something similar ro a phone call just received.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I suspect that maybe you installed another program and AVG was piggybacked to it. If the case then you need to uncheck a box to prevent its installation. Seen it many times and it is very annoying. Something similar ro a phone call just received.
    To expand on Chucks comment, thes packages are often part of some ‘free’ utility. You can opt out but the means to do so is deliberately counterintuitive. That maker of the free stuff makes their money by also shipping you something you don’t want. Sometimes it’s not the author, it’s the site that provides hosting and downloading.

Just know that they are trying to make opting out difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    To expand on Chucks comment, thes packages are often part of some ‘free’ utility. You can opt out but the means to do so is deliberately counterintuitive. That maker of the free stuff makes their money by also shipping you something you don’t want. Sometimes it’s not the author, it’s the site that provides hosting and downloading.

Just know that they are trying to make opting out difficult.
    it should be easy to look at list of programs installed and choose to uninstall AVG? At least with Win7 it can be done.

Blog Entries
    I bet it was piggybacked to CC Cleaner which I just reinstalled to get the newest version. Does anyone use AVG, is it worth keeping? I finally got enough of Norton removed to get it to stop bugging me.
    NOW you tell me...

... Does anyone use AVG, is it worth keeping?...
    Back in the day, the last time I had a Windows machine to worry about, it was the go to anti-virus program. Seems like I saw a review a couple years ago that suggested it had been surpassed.

Are you using anything now? If not, it's got to be better than nothing.

Blog Entries
    Running Win 10 now, I keep hearing that it has pretty good virus protection built in.
    NOW you tell me...

I used AVG for years. I think it was nag screens that made me uninstall it. I'm using Kaspersky now.

I've been using the free AVG for years. I just ignore the nag screens. I figure it's the cost of getting it free.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I too have been a satisfied user of AVG Free for many years. It works. Lately they've become a bit more intrusive but as Mike says, it's the cost of Free.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I bet it was piggybacked to CC Cleaner which I just reinstalled to get the newest version. Does anyone use AVG, is it worth keeping? I finally got enough of Norton removed to get it to stop bugging me.
    Yes, CCleaner does have it as an "optional" install with the box checked "yes" by default. This is VERY common.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Adobe has some programs that will install if you don't uncheck the box