Thread: Fritz Franz jig

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fritz Franz jig

Hi all. Want to build the jig for my slider. Hate having to use the fence all the time for small cuts (why buy a slider then?).
    What kind of t track do you use and how do you attach the rulers? All the photos I've seen looks like the track has a “lip” on it for an adhesive ruler. Can’t find track with a lip on it.

Ideas?

Checkout YouTube, Extreme Woodworker, Fritz & Franz jig. He includes a parts list too. He has several great “slider” videos.

F&F jigs are essential for sliders. I am a big fan of clamps for sliders. A F&F jig is just another way of “clamping” wood to the slider.

Lee Valley sells t track with a tape slot, though it's not really necessary.

Fritz, Frans, ripping shoe.jpg

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Lee Valley sells t track with a tape slot, though it's not really necessary.

Fritz, Frans, ripping shoe.jpg
    kevin, why is the tape not necessary? I don’t have an accurate measuring system unless I use the rip fence like a regular table saw.

My Fritz und Franz jig doesn't have a tape. after building the jig slightly oversize I ran it through the blade so the edge of the jig is exactly at the edge of the blade.

When I use it for ripping I just mark the wood and align it, as mostly I use it for rough breakdowns, or tapers or straight lining.

Most of the ripping to size I do with the F&F is first the straight line, then the work holding with the short rip fence so I don't need measurement on my F&F.....Rod.

I used the incra t track plus with the ruler. 18” long, 2 pieces. I have each set to 0 at the blade. I really only use the one lead section ruler to set my first stop. Then I put the 2 jigs together and flush the second stop to the first so I only use on ruler most of the time

thanks
    gary

Any T track will do, and then stick an adhesive tape ruler adjacent to the track. Like some of the others I only have the tape on one of the F&F jig pieces. This is the tape I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's inexpensive and works for me. One disadvantage is that it is printed in repeating 12 inch/30.5 CM sections so if you need a longer measurement you'll have to splice two or more sections together.

McMaster Carr has a large selection of self adhesive rules.

Thx guys..

Just putting this out there, you can do the same technique as the Fritz and Frans without a jig. Not using the jig also allows you to straightline then rip to width without resetting anything. 2 quick passes and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Just putting this out there, you can do the same technique as the Fritz and Frans without a jig. Not using the jig also allows you to straightline then rip to width without resetting anything. 2 quick passes and done.
    Please clarify your "same technique without a jig". Do you mean by using stops on two fences? I straight line on the wagon first and then use my F&F for parallel ripping the other sides. That initial straight line may not be parallel to the original edge off the sawmill, too...it depends on the grain/color, etc. where I establish that first edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...