Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fritz Franz jig

Yea, I also use my short fence for many things. I was fortunate that the fence that came with my saw was uber-long and since I rarely have it go past about mid-point of the blade, cutting off 300mm of it to use as a short fence was a no-brainer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What is a “short fence”?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    What is a “short fence”?
    Look at the video that Steve linked to in Post #13. Sliders typically have fence faces that can be put in two positions (high or low) and also slid back and forth. A short fence is often used as a stop for crosscutting short pieces without trapping material between the blade and a fence, but in Steve's video, he's using it while ripping short workpieces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Adding to what Jim said, the short fence on my saw is about 20" long, it's the one in the video. The long one is over 4', on my full combo machine it doubles as the jointer fence. These fences are just the aluminum extrusion part, they are interchangeable to the same fence head.

Ok got it. Watched the video. I just use my full length fence positioned to be a “short fence” as a stop.
    My quest in using a slider is to never use the fence like a traditional cabinet saw. The beauty of a F&F jig is that it is a way to cut very tiny pieces or strips safely without using traditional push sticks or feather boards... or the fence.
    The F&F jig excels at smaller stock. But as the stock get bigger and longer, parallel fences and clamps (on the carriage) are king.
    Just my opinion.
    There are a million ways to skin a cat.

I built mine based on this video. It turned out pretty nice and I use it often.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PyFjtSHrE

F & F Jig 1.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 07-28-2020 at 9:18 AM.

"kevin, why is the tape not necessary? "

I meant to say that you don't need t-track with a groove to mount a tape on your jig, as shown in the photo I posted. The tape is definitely a plus.

I have since added the tape (scales) to each half, along with adjustable stops.
    David

20200729_011346_resized.jpg 20200729_011352_resized.jpg 20200729_011410_resized.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 07-29-2020 at 4:34 AM.