Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Effect of leaks in dust collection system

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I installed a Magnahelic vacuum gauge to keep track of how much air I was drawing using the factory provided fan curve (Oneida 2 hp Dust Gorilla). With the duct blocked off at 0 cfm I noted the gauge reading (about 9" IIRC which corresponded with the curve). Then with the duct open but all gates closed read the gauge, and I was loosing close to 300 cfm. I went around with silicone and sealed all of the places I could hear air leaking, mostly the bends. What was left was mostly the blast gates, still leaking about 100 cfm. Not exact science, but it helped me seal up the system. Left gauge is total suction, right gauge is loss across the filter.
    What make/model gauge did you use on the inlet? And did you use another Dwyer A-302 for the static pressure tip? I just picked up the Dwyer
    2015 for the inlet. Figured it would look nice next to the 2005 for the filter.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 08-04-2020 at 9:53 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I only have a few in my system, but all but one are in horizontal runs. I replaced the screws in those with spring ball plungers and a jam nut. They don't rattle and I can flick them open and closed with a short jump. Even with a low ceiling, I'd have to stand on something to loosen the screw.

The one in a vertical run is at the end of the line at the bandsaw. So low enough to reach. And I never close it anyway.

But I think maybe the pack I bought was one short, so it wasn't really planned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    What make/model gauge did you use on the inlet? And did you use another Dwyer A-302 for the static pressure tip? I just picked up the Dwyer
    2015 for the inlet. Figured it would look nice next to the 2005 for the filter.
    The 0-15 " WC IAC is just a re-branded Magnehelic. Nothing fancy on the static pressure tip. just a threaded/barb adapter threaded into the inlet side of the blower inlet.IMG_3260 (002).jpg
    NOW you tell me...