Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bevels

Blog Entries
    Is there a standard as to how many angels can dance on a tertiary bevel before a blade needs to be reground or is it when the tertiary bevel fully overlaps the secondary?

These are the kinds of pondering that might keep me up at night if it weren't for being satisfied with a flat as possible bevel, as long as it cuts as well as possible or needed with my skills.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As for the ruler trick and causing issues, I have never experienced any. The small amount that you are polishing/sharpening/etc on the back will be eliminated once you go back to grind the primary again. So, when I sharpen, the Rob Cosman way, the primary bevel doesn’t get touched. You find the primary, lift up a little and polish just the leading edge. Then, on a finer grit stone, you make an even smaller bevel by lifting up just a bit higher than the first time. Once that secondary bevel gets “too wide”, you go back and regrind that secondary out. This in turn, eliminates the bevel on the back of the blade that you made with the ruler trick.

Just my two cents and the way I was taught by Rob. Not the only way to sharpen at all, just what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Was starting to be just another "Sharpening Thread"....
    You mean where everything is black and white, there can be nothing in the middle? Yep. Always happens here.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    You mean where everything is black and white, there can be nothing in the middle? Yep. Always happens here.
    there can be only one (in voice of the Kurgan)

"My Sensei will beat your Sensei..as only mine follows the One True Path...Hahahah"

We have work to do....
    Estate Sale 2, Jack plane.JPG
    (iron still has the Factory Grind...can't have that, can we?)

The purpose of sharpening anything by any method is to get a tool ready to do work. Rob Cosman is an extraordinary craftsman, and I don’t think he owns a ROS-the final tool to touch his work is his hand planes. Is his method of sharpening for everyone? Perhaps not, especially if one is producing period pieces and/or restoration work. But for those of us who do woodworking for a hobby, and are looking for creating the best quality work that we can... If you have a process that works for you, perfect, but unless one is already producing work with the same level of quality as he does, perhaps we should also respect his process and not mock it.

Blog Entries
    The purpose of sharpening anything by any method is to get a tool ready to do work.
    One of my reasons for often advising folks to work with what works for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    The purpose of sharpening anything by any method is to get a tool ready to do work. Rob Cosman is an extraordinary craftsman, and I don’t think he owns a ROS-the final tool to touch his work is his hand planes. Is his method of sharpening for everyone? Perhaps not, especially if one is producing period pieces and/or restoration work. But for those of us who do woodworking for a hobby, and are looking for creating the best quality work that we can... If you have a process that works for you, perfect, but unless one is already producing work with the same level of quality as he does, perhaps we should also respect his process and not mock it.
    So much wrong it is hard to unpack. Yes he is a good craftsman but he is also a salesman selling tools, classes, and videos. I do not have to produce work at the same level as Cosman to recognize BS when I see and hear it. As a good friend put it, folks like Cosman, he is not the only one, advocate shortcuts not because they are better but are easy to teach and can help sell whatever they are selling. On the video in question there were several statements by Cosman that were wrong, I haven't the time or interest to go back and make notes but they are there and if you watch carefully you should be able to spot them as well. And no I do not have to respect his process and yes I can mock it where wrong.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    So much wrong it is hard to unpack. Yes he is a good craftsman but he is also a salesman selling tools, classes, and videos. I do not have to produce work at the same level as Cosman to recognize BS when I see and hear it. As a good friend put it, folks like Cosman, he is not the only one, advocate shortcuts not because they are better but are easy to teach and can help sell whatever they are selling. On the video in question there were several statements by Cosman that were wrong, I haven't the time or interest to go back and make notes but they are there and if you watch carefully you should be able to spot them as well. And no I do not have to respect his process and yes I can mock it where wrong.

ken
    Help me understand, if he gets better results than you with the methods that he uses, then how are his statements and his process wrong? What is it about your process that is superior if your results are, by your own admission, not as good as his? BS meter tripped here also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

I watched the video. Cosman is a good instructor and if you follow what he is selling you will have sharp cutters. That said, I think there are better ways to get there and there were a couple or three times he made statements that were like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know. Please elaborate.
    For me it is where he is demonstrating the ruler trick. At around 15 minutes in he states it saves one the trouble of having to flatten the whole back. What is wrong with holding only the 1/4 - 1/2" from the edge flat on one side of the stone and polishing it without a ruler?

Wouldn't this be the same as the ruler trick without the ruler?

Also like fingernails to me is recommending removing the burr only on the finest stone. Maybe this is fine with a very light burr when one is only using two stones. A heavy burr can leave some nasty scratches on a fine stone.

Maybe for folks who really hate spending time sharpening all of the different tricks to speed up a process are a God send. For me sharpening is a pleasant few moments of listening to music and restoring the edge on a tool for working wood.

Even when working on a project for commission or to sell, sharpening is not a big consumer of my time.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    Help me understand, if he gets better results than you with the methods that he uses, then how are his statements and his process wrong? What is it about your process that is superior if your results are, by your own admission, not as good as his? BS meter tripped here also.
    Do you feel the final result is all due to a sharpening method?

In the video he is showing off a fine shaving which he claims is about a half a thousandth of an inch. My sharpening method has been able to produce a shaving of a quarter of a thousandth of an inch:

Fine Shaving 0.0002x?.jpg

This only means my sharpening process is able to create a keen edge. It in no way elevates me to a better woodworker than anyone else.

jtk

I’ve been around this work for a while. The ruler “trick” has been around longer than I am old. Maybe not with a ruler but similar things. When I learned to sharpen it was very common for a craftsman to take the last stroke across the edge of his carborundum stone. Some raised the back of the iron a small amount “ruler trick” some kept it flat but because the stone was dished a bit there was a sharp edge on the stone. I was taught to raise the handle a bit for the bevel side of the chisel for the last few strokes. Some used a strop after, others used their hand (most were leathery). I never saw a plane iron with the back shiny more than an inch or so. The same with chisels. Don’t know how they ever accomplished a thing with those dull tools😀. Nothing new under the sun, just reworded some. Just how many plane irons and chisels have you found used with backs completely flattened?
    Last edited by James Pallas; 07-26-2020 at 6:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    For me it is where he is demonstrating the ruler trick. At around 15 minutes in he states it saves one the trouble of having to flatten the whole back. What is wrong with holding only the 1/4 - 1/2" from the edge flat on one side of the stone and polishing it without a ruler?

Wouldn't this be the same as the ruler trick without the ruler?
    Seems like that could present a challenge as the blade wears. If you are moving it back ¼” on each sharpening, eventually there will be a bump to deal with. The ruler trick is so minuscule, less than a 1* bevel on the blade, and it maintains that 1* bevel with each sharpening.

Also like fingernails to me is recommending removing the burr only on the finest stone. Maybe this is fine with a very light burr when one is only using two stones. A heavy burr can leave some nasty scratches on a fine stone.
    He is only using two stones, and with the ruler when the burr is removed, the edge of the blade is off the stone. The burr peels away as soon as it hits the edge of the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do you feel the final result is all due to a sharpening method?
    I believe the final result is because he is an excellent craftsman, and part of that is due to his willingness to explore different methods and apply the results to his process. Certainly there are other parts of his process that people are calling out in this thread, such as his process of dealing with tear-out by closing the mouth of the plane rather than adjusting the cap iron. The cap iron the prevalent means to deal with that problem today, but there is no question that he gets excellent results adjusting the frog.

Again, I’m not saying the Cosman way is the right way or the only way, but I do believe he has proven in his videos that his methods produce excellent results. Why do people feel it necessary to give him crap for that, just because it’s not the method that they use?

So, to each his own then, right?