Thread: Metal cold cut saw and Miter saw on same bench

Blog Entries

Metal cold cut saw and Miter saw on same bench

Does anyone here have the same bench (long bench with long backstop) for both a wood saw and a metal saw? I expect to clean when using wood to avoid getting oils / grease etc on the lumber... just wondering if anyone has done this successfully and what their setup looks like or if it's a total PIA.

cheers,

The setup probably isn't difficult for that kind of arrangement, but I'd really be careful mixing the two for the reason you elude to...keeping the lumber clean from oil and small metal particles. Both are very hard to fully clean up. I don't even like using the DP for metal for this reason and have avoided cutting non-ferrous metals on my CNC to-date, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The cold cut saw slings a little coolant, and is better used a little lower than a miter saw anyway. I wouldn't want the cold saw without rollers on both sides for fairly heavy, long pieces of metal. If you are talking about an abrasive saw, instead of a real cold saw, I don't even use one of those inside the metal shop. It gets used outside.

I do quite a bit of metal cutting and my go to for cut offs is the Evolution 14” saw. It is an excellent saw imho. It has a shaving tray below the blade which catches a lot, but much escapes too. If I was to put it on a bench I’d want a hard surface, melamine perhaps to make clean up easier. I have also set up supplemental wings to contain the renegades. You will have to be really particular to do this and not impact your woodworking. Perhaps put one on far L and the other far R

There's quite a bit of difference between a cold saw, and an abrasive chop saw. Here's youtube video of a cold saw working. Skip to 4:20 minutes to see one in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clb9nrxD5bU
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-28-2020 at 1:18 PM.