Thread: Shop flooring and disability

Shop flooring and disability

My new shop is about to be finished (praise the Lord). It has a concrete floor (slab) currently. I’m trying to figure out what flooring I might put there.

Here’s the wrinkle: I’m disabled and sometimes in a wheelchair. Depending on how I feel on any given day and how far I might have to walk, I can be in the wheelchair, using a walker, using a cane, or walk(ish) without aids.

What flooring would work best for any and all of these situations?

I am a bilateral above the knee amputee and utilize a wheelchair with pneumatic tires. I don't wear prostheses because I could not walk around, bend over, carry anything, etc., while using crutches.

My 24x30' shop floor is concrete, troweled smooth. Chair "glides" on the concrete, which is easy to keep clean. As the chair has pneumatic tires I am very careful about any metal dropping to floor and not picked up.

Here’s my chair (one of the few things the VA has done right).
    not sure why therapy are sideways, how can I adjust them short of putting them sideways in the original.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am an RBKA with left leg encased in a CROW boot. I walk around on a standard concrete floor. A chair would not fit in my shop.

For wheel chairs, I always preferred hard. For standing, I prefer something with give to stand on. For clean-up, I prefer hard. My shop floor is concrete. I have lots of experience with wheel chairs, not so much with crutches or canes. I am concerned that they would slip on a hard surface with sawdust.

I have seen really nice shops with "hardwood" (or Pergo)...

I have mats where I stand to help my feet. It is much more difficult to get things (like sawdust) out / off the mats.