Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Manual Tranmissions

Even the big trucks are being taken over by automatic transmissions. Some of the Class A / CDL licenses now require a separate endorsement for a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Even the big trucks are being taken over by automatic transmissions. Some of the Class A / CDL licenses now require a separate endorsement for a manual transmission.
    That's true Scott. Because there are so many that don't know how to drive a manual. They first had auto shift manuals. They had a clutch but once you were rolling it shifted through the gears for you. I've never driven either and the last time I drove a class 8 truck many years ago it was an 8V71(318) Detroit Diesel and 13 speed Road Ranger. They ran best when you drove them hard. I'd much rather a manual transmission on slick roads. You can feel when you start to get wheel slip and feather the throttle. Automatics are difficult to accomplish the same feel.

I also learned to drive on a manual, back in '62. Today, in a 4 wheeled vehicle, I wouldn't have one. Traffic.
    However, the day they make me drive an automatic Harley is when I hang up my gloves.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My 1957 VW Bus had a broken clutch cable...
    One of my college buddies had a Beetle with the same issue. He basically drove it around with no clutch for a few months. Just got it moving with the starter motor.

I had an '85 Jeep Cherokee with a 5-speed manual transmission. I learned later on that they were notorious for clutch slave cylinders leaking and failing. I remember more then one occasion where I was driving somewhere and pedal sunk to the floor. "Damn, no clutch". I recall plotting out routes and best times of day to minimize red lights and any uphill start, LOL.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep