Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Manual Tranmissions

I have an '11 Ranger with six foot bed and I would not want less then that. Hauls 4x8 sheets of plywood without excess hanging beyond the open tailgate. A 5 1/2 foot bed would likely work as well but a 4 ft bed would be problematic.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have read that in the USA a vehicle with a manual transmission may get stolen but it gets ditched as soon as they need to up shift. They may break in but with no transmission indicator they do not know how to shift it into reverse and get out of the driveway.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have read that in the USA a vehicle with a manual transmission may get stolen but it gets ditched as soon as they need to up shift. They may break in but with no transmission indicator they do not know how to shift it into reverse and get out of the driveway.
    Bill D
    Must of the shift knobs have the shift pattern on them.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The other thing that’s disappearing from pick-ups is the regular cab - one with only two doors and one row of seating.
    I hope they don't disappear because I hate double cabs and I want a long box always. Tried one long box double but it was too long to get around my jobs sites in.

Larry, it will likely come down to what sells vs what sits. Many folks who would have purchased the "traditional" regular cab with a bench and zero room behind the seat have readily adopted to the slightly larger configuration with or without the "unusable" seat behind because it allows them to stash valuable tools, etc., in the cab while allowing for a "full size" 8' bed without being a mile long. If there's not enough interest and sales for the "regular" cab, it's going to disappear, especially since the largest part of the pick-em-up truck market is the higher end stuff. The majority of pickups never see a "jobsite" or even "off road". It's the same with Jeeps, BTW. The majority are on-pavement, daily drivers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Must of the shift knobs have the shift pattern on them.
    Unless you buy used vehicles like I have for the last two, that have the pattern worn off. One is over and down the other one is to you and down.
    Or someone has changed the knob out for a custom one like I used to when I was younger.
    Three on on the tree, never saw one with a shift pattern. One of the foreign models had a four on the tree back in the 60's
    Most trucks I drove did have the pattern on the visor along with directions on how to split the trans or rear end.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Larry, it will likely come down to what sells vs what sits. Many folks who would have purchased the "traditional" regular cab with a bench and zero room behind the seat have readily adopted to the slightly larger configuration with or without the "unusable" seat behind because it allows them to stash valuable tools, etc., in the cab while allowing for a "full size" 8' bed without being a mile long. If there's not enough interest and sales for the "regular" cab, it's going to disappear, especially since the largest part of the pick-em-up truck market is the higher end stuff. The majority of pickups never see a "jobsite" or even "off road". It's the same with Jeeps, BTW. The majority are on-pavement, daily drivers.
    There is a Ford dealer locally that sells only pickups, trucks, and vans for mostly commercial use. I just paged through their inventory and the majority is regular cab with some supercabs. Crew cabs were only about 15% of inventory. I was surprised to see they had several F-550 crew cabs with a flat bed on the back. Those trucks are probably something like 22 feet long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Now that I have a "regular" job, I don't want a full-size bed that will attract everyone around me who thinks it's now a moving van.
    You touch on the only downside to having a truck; learning to say no. I started to vent a little on one of my peeves but, like any tool, the value of the format and size of a truck will vary with what you use it for. In truth I am glad we have the variety to choose from.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    There is a Ford dealer locally that sells only pickups, trucks, and vans for mostly commercial use. I just paged through their inventory and the majority is regular cab with some supercabs. Crew cabs were only about 15% of inventory. I was surprised to see they had several F-550 crew cabs with a flat bed on the back. Those trucks are probably something like 22 feet long.
    The only Ford car sold in the USA is now the mustang. All the rest is trucks or suv's. the mustang transmission is made in China. Not sure where the engine is made.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The only Ford car sold in the USA is now the mustang. All the rest is trucks or suv's. the mustang transmission is made in China. Not sure where the engine is made.
    This dealer has sold only pickups, trucks, and vans since the 1960s. They started in 1927. They have been very successful as they now have nine locations. They also sell a few other brands of medium duty trucks besides Ford vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was surprised to see they had several F-550 crew cabs with a flat bed on the back. Those trucks are probably something like 22 feet long.
    Yes, I see a lot of vehicles like that in this area, especially with landscapers and other trades. They can fit as many as 6 workers in the cab while hauling a lot of stuff behind them. But I sure wouldn't be enamored with the turning radius of those long suckers! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

According to Ford:

you can get an F-150 with:
    regular cab with 6-1/2 or 8' bed, no 5-1/2'
    super cab with any bed,
    crew cab with 5-1/2' or 6-1/2' bed, no 8'...

F250 thru 450, no 5-1/2' beds, and-
    regular cab in 8' only
    super cab AND crew cab in 6-1/2 AND 8'...

sticker shock on the F-450 limited crew cab 8' bed: $90,800 to start... yow

not sure about the other brands

edit- just checked the length: 266" / 22.17'
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-26-2020 at 1:29 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    F250 thru 450, no 5-1/2' beds, and-
    regular cab in 8' only
    super cab AND crew cab in 6-1/2 AND 8'...
    You had posted earlier that you can't replace your F-250 because Super cab and 8' bed is not available. Your own research shows that Ford still makes that combo.

With all due respect, no I didn't What I said: "One of the reasons I've never replaced my trusty 2002 F-250 is it's a long bed supercab..."

Someone else may have said they're not available-? I'll rephrase: Because my present F-250 IS a long bed supercab, which I prefer over other bed/interior combos, I've felt no need to replace it... There's other reasons I don't replace it, like, it's only at 62k miles, and in 18 years I've replaced the battery once (honest, the OE went 11 years), the brake pads once, tires twice (second set only went 5000 miles before I put the bigger tires/wheels on it, and that was in Oct. 2009), and I had to replace the fuel pump about 5 years ago. A mechanic has never laid hands on it. Still drives and acts like a new truck.

Not a 'can't' thing, it's simply a 'don't want or need to' thing
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I was a diehard supporter of a manual transmission (once I was able to learn how to drive one as a 16 year old) due to the fact that they lasted longer, almost always gave you an extra 2-3 MPG, and were often cheaper. When I bought my Tacoma in 2000, it had to be ordered as a manual. Same with our 2005 CRV, which we traded in with 300,000 miles on it and the original clutch. My decision back then was validated as I watched several friends have their transmissions rebuilt at around 100,000 miles. That truck, while long in the tooth, is still going strong. Times have changed. As has already been pointed out, automatic transmissions have gotten better and better. Our last two vehicles were automatics.