Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost completed dust collection - PICS

Almost completed dust collection - PICS

My dust collection setup is almost complete. The only tasks remaining are hookups to a few machines and electrical terminations at the DC motor and main panel. I ended up running wire for a dedicated circuit as suggested earlier. There were 2 notable suggestions by members here in an earlier post that some may find helpful. The first was by John Jordan. It was too late in my efforts to follow but John suggested using scaled paper or cardboard cutouts to position equipment on a floorplan. It wasn't until making multiple scaled drawings of my layout that I realized the benefit in the suggestion. The other suggestion was by Jim Becker. He suggested using Blastgate fittings for spiral pipe instead of the typical HVAC type found at home centers or HVAC suppliers. I already ordered and received the latter but switched to the Blastgate fittings. It set me back about $400 but I'm glad the change was made. Installation went a little easier and the finished work looks better IMHO. I'm still a little annoyed that my local HVAC supplier wouldn't take their fittings back even with a steep restocking fee. Anyway, here are some pics of the installation. I'll post a few more comments about the installation a little later.
    dust collection 002.jpg dust collection 009.jpg dust collection 012.jpg dust collection 013.jpg dust collection 010.jpg dust collection 004.jpg

dust collection 011.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-22-2020 at 8:03 PM.

That's a nice setup! I'm envious of all the space. You need to get the rakes & stuff into the shed tho.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's looking really good!

BTW, I didn't mean to cause you to spend a ton more money, but it appears that the decision was a good one for your duct work network. That's a quality setup!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That's a nice setup! I'm envious of all the space. You need to get the rakes & stuff into the shed tho.
    Copy on the "rakes & stuff". That's probably next on my long list of shop improvements.

Blog Entries
    Looking great Steve. I always appreciate a look into other folk's DC setups. I am tweaking my drawings for the next rebuild.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's looking really good!

BTW, I didn't mean to cause you to spend a ton more money, but it appears that the decision was a good one for your duct work network. That's a quality setup!

Thanks Jim! And no worries on your recommendation as I have no regrets in following.

Here's a brief description of my DC setup. The 3hp Oneida DC was purchased used and is at least 10 years old. It has an 8" inlet, which I kept at that size along one wall. It then reduces to 6" along the entire length of the adjacent wall. All of the branches and drops are 5" except at the drill press and horizontal sander/bandsaw combo. All of the fittings were supplied by The Blastgate Co. Kudos to them, they provided excellent service. The pipe was purchased locally in 10 ft lengths. For better or worse I used the ubiquitous aluminum blastgates. Most of the ducts were hung with 3/8" rod, swivel type rings and angle rod clips. The drops were secured to the wall with low profile Unistrut and Unistrut pipe clamps. I started off using self tapping sheet metal screws but immediately switched to rivets. They didn't take that much more time to install but look better and don't interfere as much with the tape. The tape used was the one recommended by Blastgate. It's very flexible and easily removed if necessary yet sticks well. I used the thin aluminum stuff before and this stuff was much better. The DC motor will be powered by a separate 30 amp circuit. I haven't made the terminations yet but plan to use a 120VAC contactor with possibly remote capability. The reason for the delay in this part of the work is because of replacing an existing panel with something with more circuit capacity. I have the panel but haven't decided whether to tackle the job myself or hire an electrician to do it. The 10 gauge wire from the panel to the motor has already been run.

Steve — Nice set-up. Curious what tape Blastgate recommends? I’ve always used the foil tape, which can be a bit frustrating to apply. Also, off-topic, what edge sander do you have? Looks like a nice unit.

-Tom
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Steve — Nice set-up. Curious what tape Blastgate recommends? I’ve always used the foil tape, which can be a bit frustrating to apply. Also, off-topic, what edge sander do you have? Looks like a nice unit.

-Tom
    The Blastgate tape is vinyl and 1 1/4" wide, no manufacturer's name. The edge sander is a Delta 31-482. I haven't used it yet so no comments on how it performs. It seems to be well made for something out of Taiwan.

This is a long time (and list of threads) coming! Hope you don’t do many shop rearrangements anytime soon! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This is a long time (and list of threads) coming! Hope you don’t do many shop rearrangements anytime soon! Lol
    I hear ya. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looking great Steve. I always appreciate a look into other folk's DC setups. I am tweaking my drawings for the next rebuild.
    Glenn I hear you. I am on rebuild 5-6. Also made me grin when O.P. stated he is almost done... if he only knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Glenn I hear you. I am on rebuild 5-6. Also made me grin when O.P. stated he is almost done... if he only knew.
    Right there with ya
    currently making a pull thru filter box with 27 tube filters.
    then still pondering on how to upgrade the piping to the radial arm saw
    then ...
    never ends
    Ron

Yeah for me I had it all figured out,spent a couple months calculating etc. Got it all installed and then began to buy /sell tools. Now when my Dad asks if I am done ,I just cringe. O well,I am now pro at figuring it out and reconfiguring and recalculating and tweaking....

Looks great Steve! I am building a new shop and will be tackling this soon. In planning I have been wondering how to stabilize the drops? Since they look to be just out in open space, how to keep them from moving around when opening a blast gate or turning the DC on?

Thanks