Thread: Minwax oil modified polyurethane varnish - appearance?

Minwax oil modified polyurethane varnish - appearance?

Does Minwax oil modified polyurethane varnish ( https://www.minwax.com/wood-products...d-polyurethane ) give bare wood he same appearance (orange/yellow tone) as an oil based varnish?

The reason I think it might not: a different Minwax water based varnish (( https://www.minwax.com/wood-products...tective-finish ) dries completely clear. An orange/yellow color develops only as the wood ages.

I want to re-varnish some things (e.g. trapdoor in a floor) that have been sanded, but not sanded enough to remove all the marks and stains. The appearance of an oil based polyurethane would be satisfactory. I'm curious whether I can get the same effect from oil modified polyurethane. I'd buy a quart of it to try, if I could find one in-stock locally, but the only local deals are for a gallon of it - about $45.

I'm not familiar with that Minwax product, but I've used the Target EM2000 which is "similar"...and it does have a warmer appearance. Minwax states in the FAQ that this product can be applied over existing oil based finish as long as it's fully cured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What exactly does oil-modified poly mean - a mix of polyurethane varnish and oil (like danish oil) that is suspended in water? I read the website and cant quite figure that out. Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    What exactly does oil-modified poly mean - a mix of polyurethane varnish and oil (like danish oil) that is suspended in water? I read the website and cant quite figure that out. Sounds interesting.
    It's a waterborne product that has an emulsified oil based finish in it. BM Advance paint (not clear) is an example in addition to the Target Coatings EM2000 I mentioned. This kind of finish offers some of the advantages of an oil based product while retaining water cleanup and generally low VOC. In the case of the BM Advance, the finish, once cured, is kinda like an oil based enamel which is why it's popular for cabinet work. EM2000 satisfies the need for a "warmer" look and some durability characteristics. Presumably, this Minwax product is similar to that.
    --

I actually did some samples a while back of Minwax oil-modified vs. Minwax oil-based varnish on walnut. You can see in the photo that the oil-modified (second from right) still ambers the walnut quite a bit, but noticeably less than pure oil-based. I would say right in between water-based and oil-based in terms of ambering.

The oil-modified dried very quick and was low odor, similar to water-based. But I wasn't able to avoid bubbles in the finish after several trials and ultimately wasn't pleased with the product.

What I often do - and what might work for your project - is a seal coat of oil-based poly for desired color followed by a water-based topcoat. Let the oil-based seal coat dry 24 hrs minimum with optional shellac barrier coat in between.

IMG_9137.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for posting the photo of your test piece, Bennett!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett Ostroff View Post
    I actually did some samples a while back of Minwax oil-modified vs. Minwax oil-based varnish on walnut. You can see in the photo that the oil-modified (second from right) still ambers the walnut quite a bit, but noticeably less than pure oil-based. I would say right in between water-based and oil-based in terms of ambering.
    Useful information - my thanks to you also.