Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawing skills outside the woodshop

Sawing skills outside the woodshop

I use a serrated offset bread knife when taking slices off a loaf. Last night, after cuttingh a few slices for dinner, my wife asked how I get the slices so even and consistent. I told her my woodworking hobby is finally paying off.

Made me start to wonder, when slicing bread, would a rip or crosscut be better?

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness for small victories Phil! Congratulations on finding a way to leverage your woodworking skills to generate positive reinforcement from the boss outside of the workshop!

I used to bake all of our bread. Definitely crosscut over rip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I use a serrated offset bread knife when taking slices off a loaf. Last night, after cuttingh a few slices for dinner, my wife asked how I get the slices so even and consistent. I told her my woodworking hobby is finally paying off.

Made me start to wonder, when slicing bread, would a rip or crosscut be better?
    Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I used to bake all of our bread. Definitely crosscut over rip.
    Agree.

Now we can veer off in to a discussion (fire fight?) on sharpening serrated knife blades.

Phil, there are many types of serrated knives. Can you post images of your serrated offset bread knife?

tia,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I too am charged with cutting things like the turkey, roast beef and loafs of bread. We use an electric knife pretty often but I for sure hear about the even cutting.

The reason I find this so interesting is that the next time they make a bread loaf I am not saying anything and going to cut it in the rip fashion. One "slice" per person, it will be hilarious to me! The others light not agree....

Thanks for the smile!

Chris

Since '87 I've preferred to slice bread with a non-serrated Japanese kitchen knife (household-grade laminated steel, cost maybe $30 when new). To each his own--I just thought this would be interesting regarding the rip vs crosscut question.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks Phil, That looks like sharpening would be easy with a slipstone for the scallops and a flat stone for the other side.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I’ll vote for using a non-serrated knife for everything in the kitchen. I find sharpening serrated knives to be really tedious.

from time to time I’ll bring stones with me when I visit family and sharpen their knives for them. That is usually quite appreciated. It seems like a lot of people are either intimidated or uninterested in learning how to sharpen kitchen knives. I’ve always thought that was one of the reasons serrated knives and those electric carving knives were popular: even if they are kind of dull they do a much better job than a dull regular knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I’ll vote for using a non-serrated knife for everything in the kitchen. I find sharpening serrated knives to be really tedious.
    Bread knives is where serration shines. (especially on really crusty loaves)

This reminds me, I need to sharpen the bread knife.. and the dog claw trimmers.. Great. Now I need to find my slip stones
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've done it the other way.
    Crosscut knife for the "width" slicing of the loaf;
    Rip knife for cutting the sandwich in half.
    Now, here's my question - which knofe do I use if my kid wants his sandwich on the 45 deg. bias?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Now, here's my question - which knofe do I use if my kid wants his sandwich on the 45 deg. bias?
    It depends on the grain.

jtk

- well everybody is thinking it.

For the 45 degree cut I use a shooting board. Three or four passes with an LN shooter makes a perfect sandwich. Tongue firmly in cheek.

I bake bread often and when slicing it (serrated all the way), I often think about bringing my Ryoba and pull bench hook to the party.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It depends on the grain.

jtk

- well everybody is thinking it.

G R O A N

Do we really knead comments like that?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.