Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band saw useage question

Band saw useage question

How many of you resaw wood wider than 12" and how often does that occur? Just curious as maximum cutting heights greater than 12" seem to get alot of attention.

Regards Randy

My 18" bandsaw will only resaw to 10.5 inches and I have not hit that limit yet. I do very little resawing.... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Only for fun just to see how much a particular board or wood will cup. But that doesn’t mean a larger bandsaw doesn’t have its advantages. If I needed a 12 inch wide out of a good thick timber I would resaw twice at 6 1/4 .
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I have never needed to resaw over the 12" capacity of my saw. Very close to it about once a year but, definitely the exception. Most of my material is in the neighborhood of 8" width.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have several times, up to about 14", but it's a small fraction of my resawing/veneer slicing. 6 - 12" is the bulk of my work. But having a BS with 16" resaw capability means it has a powerful (5 hp) motor on it which makes resawing narrower stock very efficient. To me that's a major benefit when resawing 12" stock compared to a smaller saw with only 3 hp.

John

The 14'' Resaw capacity on my bandsaw gets used when cutting up smaller logs for lumber. Not so much for veneer.

I personally don't resaw wide stuff that much. I believe that Brian Holcombe does, however, for veneers, etc. He and I have done a 16" wide cut in the last year on his big saw for something that was beyond the capacity of my 2004 era MM16.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only time I have gone over 12" was cutting bowl blanks to turn on the lathe. Since my BS will only do 12" I cut them down to just under 12". When I bought my 19" the other choice in that price range I was interested in was the Laguna BX18. It has, I think, 16" of resaw capacity. Grizzly had a sale first so they won out. Both have a 3hp motor.

So, a lot of the crazy resaw heights we have now came out of the "Resaw Wars" (in which I was soldier, LOL) of the late 90's/early 2000's. This was a competition between two Italian brands trying to control market share here in the US. In Europe, they don't care about resaw height. Only here in the US. In particular, the bowl turning hobby market. Folks wanting to process big chunks and burls on their how bandsaw. It became a battle of specs, so to speak. Getting back to the OP's question, IMHO, 90% of anything most of us would do could be done with 16" of vertical cutting height. That being said, I would take as much cutting WIDTH as I could possibly get. There are times when you could use more. Some veneer situations or cutting large forms. Curiously, I have also sold a number of really big bandsaws for cutting foam forms for molds and models. To the OP, If I was going to suggest one machine for the home shop, somewhere between 12"-16" resaw height would be the sweet spot in terms of $$$ vs. performance and I would favor a wider table over taller height. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik brings up a good point....one of the big benefits of larger bandsaws is the depth between the band and the column/spine. Even for scrolling in thin material, that additional space can sometimes make a difference for some woodworkers in how they can make their cuts with less stopping, clearing cuts, repositioning, etc. The extra height on a bigger saw is certainly nice for cutting tall things, but it's also great for actually seeing what you are working on! That said, keep in mind that many larger saws also have their table height lower which may be uncomfortable for frequent scrolling work. That right there helps reinforce the "it's a nice thing to have both a big bandsaw and a little bandsaw" idea...
    --

No idea where the OP lives or what are the biggest trees he can get there. They have gotten rid of the giant bandsaws in redwood country. They just do not saw 12' diameter old growth logs anymore. I do not think you can truck haul clogs bigger the 8' diameter on a public road. One guy can not really resaw a 16" diameter log even just 6 feet long. Certainly not on a furniture type saw with no headworks or carriage to hold the log.
    Bil lD

I am odd man out here, it seems, but ive resawn 18-19" on numerous occasions. I have several walnut crotches that are 3-4" thick that ive resawn for panels etc. When you have 18" of feather at the widest point, its a real shame to cut that down to 12" to fit on your bandsaw. I never/rarely resaw plain figured material, and in my case, the highly figured material tends to be wider material. If you are buying an 18-20" bandaw, why not get one that has a resaw capacity that matches the wheel diameter? At worst, you never use the extra capacity. I think 12" is cutting it close, but 16" would cover 90% of your bases.

Erik, I saw a modified crescent/oliver bandsaw at IRS auctions not too long ago that was the Bismarck of the resaw war. Modified to 40"+ resaw height. The saw had to be 12'+ tall, it looked absurd and awesome.

This redwood sawmill says their bandsaw is 7' diamter with 11" wide blades. I did not see the resaw height mentioned. I would guess at least 3' at a minimum since the blade is 43' feet long
    Bil lD.
    https://bigcreeklumber.com/sawmill-tour/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ...Erik, I saw a modified crescent/oliver bandsaw at IRS auctions not too long ago that was the Bismarck of the resaw war. Modified to 40"+ resaw height. The saw had to be 12'+ tall, it looked absurd and awesome.
    That's insane, Patrick!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Bill, the bandmill likely is setup for horizontal cutting, not vertical like saws we use in our shops. Hearne Hardwoods has a machine that has specifications like you mention...10" wide band that's really long. I posted a video last year of them cutting up a "yuge" walnut log into slabs if I recall clearly.
    --