Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the market for a new bathtub

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    We replaced all the tubs in our house with showers. For whatever reason, SWMBO wants a tub in this last one.

The cast iron ones are cheaper than acrylic. But acrylic just seems easier to install.
    I've installed both a cast iron and an acrylic tub at home (two houses) in the last decade. The acrylic tub was actually harder to install - easier to move around, but required careful attention to support and bedding, whereas the cast iron one, though heavy and hard to move, was free standing. The acrylic is also a bit safer - a slip in that one is not fun, but the landing won't knock you out cold. A slip in a cast iron tub always ends with a hard, dangerous landing.

FWIW, I prefer the cast iron tub personally, even though it does take quite a bit more hot water due to the need to heat a lot of iron when filling, and with the hard landing properties. Just feels right. And for all those who want only a shower in their house - to each his or her own - but while I am happy to use a quick shower to clean or rinse myself when in need, there is nothing more comforting to my old and frequently aching muscles and joints than a long soak in a hot bath. I indulge at least once a week. My wife feels the same way - she frequently takes hour long baths. Comes out warmed to the bones and refreshed - and at our age, even the inevitable wrinkles from such a long soak are barely noticable additions to all our other sags and creases.

Thanks for all the input. We decided to go with porcelain over steel ...
    American Standard. Done.

Appreciate the advice!!!

Tongue in cheek here-go to the local farm supply store and get one of those big watering tubs that the farmers use to water their cattle.

I’ve got one of those tubs in my apartment in the city, beware that the porcelain is pretty thin and seems to chip very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Tongue in cheek here-go to the local farm supply store and get one of those big watering tubs that the farmers use to water their cattle.
    Our outdoor hot tub is in fact a 300 gal plastic stock tank that I fitted with a surplus pump, woodstove with heat exchanger, and jets in the tub walls. ;-)