Thread: Timbers of Australia (videos)

Timbers of Australia (videos)

Here are a couple of videos on the timber of Oz.

The first made a 3 hours drive south of where I live, in the Karri and Jarrah forest, set about 100 years ago (or it seems like this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dRs...ature=youtu.be

The second was made on the other side of the island, in the Kosciuszko National Park, (pronounced cozzi-oskah) in New South Wales, featuring the restoration of the Coolamine Homestead built in 1883...

The timber here appears to be Alpine Ash (Eucalyptus delegatensis) which, owing to its straight grain, split well with hand tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcoTnER4Efg

Enjoy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That first video is incredible, the danger at every stage, the straining sinews of the men, oxen and horses.
    The fitness level of those men whacking the tree with axes must have been off the charts. Hand tool woodworking at it's most intense.
    Second video wil be for this evening's viewing. Thanks.

I watched the first video, Great stuff, that was tough work! Thanks for posting.

NEVER get into a fight with one of those guys. Your Mama will never find your remains,
    Great post, and thanks.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Yes, those axmen give new meaning to the word Neanderthal. Warren, you will love the video.

Watched the other video. Pretty interesting to see how they would have done stuff. That wood looks like it was good to work with. Split real easy and was pretty straight grained stuff. Still building that way had to be tough work. I have a big old barn on my property, (our house is probably 120 years old) It's quite remarkable when you think how much work went into these things and all done by hand. Hard and dangerous work!

Very enjoyable videos Derek. Thank you for sharing those!

The precision of the axemen in the 2nd video is amazing.

Wow that first video highlights just how tough and resilient men were back in the day. Completely different to the tattooed hipster nancy beta males that are skipping around at the moment.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks for posting. Amazed not only by the precision but also how delicate the blows with the broad axe appear to be.