Thread: Wood for Monticello bookcase build question

Wood for Monticello bookcase build question

SWMBO needs school room storage. We looked over things and came up with the box bookcases from Monticello that Jefferson used when he donated his library. These are basically stacked boxes. The bottom layer(s) from the version I found is 48” long by 18” tall by 13” deep. It calls for 7/8” thick material but does say 3/4” can be used.

The Questions: I was considering using 1x12” clear pine*. Good idea? Poor? Would I need to shorten the span?**

Here is a link to the magazine article: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...ing-bookcases/

*The bottom is the deepest section. I would precede up to 1x8 then 1x6 to approximate the plans. My goal in this choice would be to avoid gluing up panels for all the sections.

**There would be a plinth (though plainer than the example) under the lowest level to act a a kick to support the bottom shelf.

I think that your question is... Will the shelf sag? This might help:

https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

That said, it looks like your shelves are supported on either the back, front, or both. Even the bottom shelf has extra support from the base.

I assume that you will use an appropriate finish to seal in anything that might leak out of the pine.

Blog Entries
    Roy Underhill did a version of this. It might be an interesting half hour for some pointers > https://www.pbs.org/video/the-woodwr...ase-for-books/

Here in earthquake country we would include a way to attach each shelf to the wall.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-21-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Where the individual cases are joined you effectively have twice the thickness. The bottom is supported by a base with bracket feet if my memory is correct. If you use the solid wood backboards that helps as well. All sounds pretty strong no matter the material.

Ron

TJ also had cases with adjustable shelves. Sides had a dado close to the back and one close to front. Shelves had
    short tenons. Sticks made to fit in the dados supported the shelves. I made some for a client ,once.

Roy’s version seems to make more sense to me as the shelves are individual modules that “lock” together to form a unit. TJ’s are just boxes that are stacked up, they still need something to hold them together. The double thickness of the boxes when stacked also bothers me as a designer (Im an architect). I am planning to build a set of the Roy style bookcases, currently thinking about using hard maple for strength/ durability and light color.

If sag is a concern, apply a nosing strip of the same pine with a 90° "flip" of grain orientation.

Glued and screwed under the front lip greatly increases stiffness. Glued and screwed directly to the front, not so much.

https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

I think the "book cases" TJ used to send the books to US Gov. were just crates, and his real book cases were as I
    described earlier. He wanted good stuff and spent lavishly to get it. But ,yes, historical crates can easily be dorm room
    book cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Callewaert View Post
    Roy’s version seems to make more sense to me as the shelves are individual modules that “lock” together to form a unit. TJ’s are just boxes that are stacked up, they still need something to hold them together. The double thickness of the boxes when stacked also bothers me as a designer (Im an architect). I am planning to build a set of the Roy style bookcases, currently thinking about using hard maple for strength/ durability and light color.
    If it were just me, I’d definitely lean towards the Roy version. But for my wife’s homeschool room she definitely prefers the TJ version, and I showed her that episode of Roy. Then again, I would love some Cadovius Danish wall unit like my stepdad had but my wife really dislikes that look.

I’ll probably be back looking for ideas in a year or so because my wife has been eyeing my oldest’s room for a library when he leaves for college.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think the "book cases" TJ used to send the books to US Gov. were just crates, and his real book cases were as I
    described earlier. He wanted good stuff and spent lavishly to get it. But ,yes, historical crates can easily be dorm room
    book cases.
    I’d love to see a picture of those if you had it.

Do you know about the online calculator for shelf deflection under load called the “Sagulator”? It is a basic horizontal beam formula.

Might take a look at The Barrister's Book Case....

I remember Norm Abram had an episode about building a set of those....complete with the glass doors...

I have a friend who built a set out of poplar, which I think turned out quite well and look surprisingly modern. If I were to build, I'd also use poplar unless I could find really good pine.

Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I’d love to see a picture of those if you had it.
    Tom ,I don't have one. Not even sure where I first saw them. Think it was TV, and I remember they said that some of
    the framing in Monticello had some stub tenons that were much like the book cases. I will try to find it today.