Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelbarrows with plastic tubs

Wheelbarrows with plastic tubs

Are there wheelbarrows with plastic tubs that hold up to dumping heavy loads? It seems to me that the front edge of the tub would often be in contact with the ground as the load is dumped - although theoretically you could stop the dump before that happens and only have the brace across the front of the handles touching the ground.

In your climate I assume any plastic left outside will not last too long. I get about one year with a five gallon bucket here. Double or triple that 90 miles west.
    Bill D

It would, of course, depend upon the specific material used to construct the tub, the weight/thickness of the same and the design of the edge in question. There are many very durable plastics and composites used these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a plastic tub one thats been sitting outside for close to 10 years in the AZ sun and is still holding up, and my HD orange buckets last about 3 or 4 months and start tobreak apart.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Not sure what sort of heavy loads you're talking about. For much concrete work, I would only use metal. I have a number of both types. The trouble with the plastic tubs is not the end, but where it's bolted to the handles, in the bottom of the tub.

We have one 10 cu. ft., plastic tubbed one, with double front wheels, that has been used in the barn for 20 years, and is still good. At some point, I changed the rusted out carriage bolts to stainless. I put tubes in the tires while it was still new, and clean, so the tires have been trouble free. Still in use.

I always put tubes in the tires, when I get a new one, while everything is still clean. I have one with non-pneumatic tire, but won't buy another one. The pneumatic tires aren't slowed up by a single rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I always put tubes in the tires, when I get a new one, while everything is still clean. I have one with non-pneumatic tire, but won't buy another one. The pneumatic tires aren't slowed up by a single rock.
    I LOVE solid tires.. on concrete. Outside, this above is exactly my experience.
    Also, for heavy loads I really do prefer double wheeled barrows.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

We had a plastic one and I broke the bucket by tossing a chunk of concrete into it. Only metal now.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The trouble with the plastic tubs is not the end, but where it's bolted to the handles, in the bottom of the tub.
    I'm glad you pointed that out. If I ever buy one with a plastic tub, I'll try to reinforce that area.

My use of wheelbarrows around the house tends to be for dirt, gravel, and concrete debris. I don't leave them sitting out in the sun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I'm glad you pointed that out. If I ever buy one with a plastic tub, I'll try to reinforce that area.

My use of wheelbarrows around the house tends to be for dirt, gravel, and concrete debris. I don't leave them sitting out in the sun.
    Fender washers might help at the bolts. You may have to file the holes square to accommodate carriage bolts.

My wheelbarrows are stored in my greenhouse, so the sun can not be avoided without a tarp. Spiders would likely make getting to a wheelbarrow an unpleasant experience for SWMBO.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Also, for heavy loads I really do prefer double wheeled barrows.
    It's interesting how many ways people have invented to convert single wheeled wheelbarrows to dual wheel, three wheel, or four wheel wheelbarrows. The simplest example I've found is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE8FtEUmWE I also see there are commercial kits for sale that make the conversion.

I'm in Florida and have a Jackson 6-cu foot steel tub model with wood handles from Lowes. The tub is fine but the wood hasn't aged as well as I'd have thought in the Florida sunshine and rain. Wish I'd have gotten metal handles also.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I'm in Florida and have a Jackson 6-cu foot steel tub model with wood handles from Lowes. The tub is fine but the wood hasn't aged as well as I'd have thought in the Florida sunshine and rain. Wish I'd have gotten metal handles also.
    I'd rather replace handles, than burn my hands whenever I use the thing
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

We've had plastic wheelbarrows for a while, one is an 8 cu.ft. two wheeler and it's around 10 years old with no tub damage, the other is 20 years old or more but has new handles I made for it and a new used pan I picked up at an auction about 8-10 years ago, as the original pan was cracked. I also had a 20+ year old metal wheelbarrow that I put a new used pan on because the original one got dented down so badly over time that it rubbed on the tire. We keep them in a shed when not in use. I would say it's a toss up, anything that will break a plastic tub will also dent a metal one. Tipping onto the front of the tub has never been a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I'd rather replace handles, than burn my hands whenever I use the thing
    Good point but usually the metal has an overwrap, but that may not beat the heat in some climates.

I like plastic for general household yard use, but I generally put a piece of plywood between the tub and the handles to eliminate flex. The biggest problem I have found with plastic tub wheelbarrows is getting them too close to the burn pile. For heavy construction work I think metal is better, but don't park it where your dog will pee on it on a regular basis.