Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now, this HURT !!!

Now, this HURT !!!

There I was in the Basement, putting a metal and rubber door sweep on the wood screen door that leads up to the Bilco Door. So, I THOUGHT I WOULD MAKE THINGS EASY FOR ME !! Just grab the electric 6 Amp drill, and screw that door sweep into the bottom of the wood screen door. The first screw went in and then a horrible tingling feeling went up my arm almost to my elbow ! Dropped the drill on the concrete floor and said several choice words!!!

Took a look at the drill. Saw nothing wrong. Then I looked at the cord. .. OH, boy!! Big bare spot with bare wires exposed. That is what must have got me. Being in a damp Basement didn't help either.

Who have thought a 6 Amp drill could give such a shock !!
    Last edited by Clarence Martinn; 07-20-2020 at 4:00 PM.

You’re lucky you survived.

Obviously aside from a lack of proper tool inspection before use, you really need a GFCI receptacle.

Glad you are OK, regards, Rod

Amen. GFCI is a life saver. Highly recommend you put that in a basement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Cordless drill next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Who have thought a 6 Amp drill could give such a shock !!
    Zounds!

Amperage of the drill shouldn't make any difference. The cord is probably plugged into a 15 or 20 amp receptacle. Although the 120v ac is not enough voltage to punch that much current through you in most situations it's still enough to mess with the nervous system and has the potential to stop a heart. A lot depends how and where the body contacts both the conductor and a ground, the skin resistance, and the length of time of the shock.

I suspect a new cord would be in order! (And the GFCI)

Should I be switching out the regular 20 AMP outlets on my workbench, to all GFCI outlets ???

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Should I be switching out the regular 20 AMP outlets on my workbench, to all GFCI outlets ???
    If the floor is concrete, yes. Even if the floor isn't, I would have all the workshop 120V outlet in the shop have GFCI protection, even if non-GFCI is grandfathered in. It just isn't worth the risk, and GFCIs aren't that expensive.

s
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    If the floor is concrete, yes. Even if the floor isn't, I would have all the workshop 120V outlet in the shop have GFCI protection, even if non-GFCI is grandfathered in. It just isn't worth the risk, and GFCIs aren't that expensive.

It's concrete Basement floor. Basement is humid and damp. Even after having all the windows closed and running 2 80 pint dehumidifiers running on high for a week, only able to reduce the humidity down from 80 % to 60 %. Well in Basement. House is waterproofed from the outside and sump pump in basement. Water is all UNDER the Basement floor. Old dug well that was in front of the house when the house was built in 1870, and later cut into ( by accident, we did not know it was there. It was buried over decades before.) When that was broke open, that flooded the outside trenches for the drainage around the house. That water ran for 2 weeks straight! 3 FEET DEEP around all 4 sides of the house. After 2 Weeks, that well finally ran dry! The water under the Basement floor , is 6 inches below the floor. The house is basically sitting on a lake.

It might be cheaper to add a couple GFCI breakers instead of a bunch of GFCI outlets.

Two, maybe three lifetimes ago I was remodeling some lawyers' offices. Two story building circa late 1800's. The upstairs had not been used in decades, but the client wanted it finished out. There was a Romex just line hanging down and running through the upstairs that had to be cut in order to frame out the area. We shut off all power to the building since we couldn't really trace back to the fuse box.
    My cohort held a flashlight while I used a hacksaw to cut through it. KAPOW!!!
    At some point they'd tapped directly into the incoming 220 line and bypassed the fuse box.
    I went home to change my pants.

A GFCI outlet protects all the outlets downstream of it. If you make a GFCI outlet the first outlet on a circuit, all the others are protected. In an existing house, that can be hard to determine. So I put a GFCI in each bathroom. But my shop was wired (by me) in 2014. So it had one GFCI for the tools and one for the lighting circuit. Later I added a circuit for my DC and it has a GFCI. It is possible to figure out which is the first outlet but the only way I know is to disconnect an outlet and see if others go off. That is a bit of work.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you are okay.

I changed all my basement and garage outlets so they are GFCI protected just for that reason. Isn't a 6 amp drill overkill for driving screws?

Shop outlets unless you are in abasement or garage don't need to be GFCI protected.

You can buy a three wire extension cord at any home center and to replace your cords that are worn much cheaper than buying separate wire and plugs. You'll have a nice moulded plug on one end.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-20-2020 at 7:58 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Glad you are ok!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've seen one person electricuted. Never want to see it again. Almost was one myself, but by falling down, my hand released grip from cord that had frayed spot. Bad thing was there were at least three people watching as I dropped to my knees. None of them knew what was happening to me at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    A GFCI outlet protects all the outlets downstream of it. If you make a GFCI outlet the first outlet on a circuit, all the others are protected. In an existing house, that can be hard to determine. So I put a GFCI in each bathroom. But my shop was wired (by me) in 2014. So it had one GFCI for the tools and one for the lighting circuit. Later I added a circuit for my DC and it has a GFCI. It is possible to figure out which is the first outlet but the only way I know is to disconnect an outlet and see if others go off. That is a bit of work.
    This is the way I do it.

Keep in mind that if you have machines with VFDs a GFCI protected circuit may not work. I hand to remove one on the circuit to one of my lathes.

JKJ