Thread: First time replacing bearings - jointer cutterhead

First time replacing bearings - jointer cutterhead

And I could use a second (or many more) set of eyes.

I'm replacing cutterhead bearings on a Bridgewood 8" jointer. The manual calls for 6204 ZZ. It actually had 6204 ZE Nachi bearings. From my research, I think I would like to change to double sealed (instead of shielded) bearings. But if I do that, I'm not sure if I want contact (2NSE) or non-contact seals (2NKE). This is from the misumi.ec.com site that I found when searching for Nachi bearings.

Suggestions? Other providers I should consider? Thanks

Go with rs or RR contact seals to keep out dust and keep grease in. The rpm is low enough there is no issue with contact friction heat. I like ZXB on the web. They are in the USA so they get to me in under one week. Nachi is a fine brand. For that use I have no problem with no name china bearings. Just be careful not to stress the castings when removing the bearings. Cost should be under 10$ for both, delivered. I would wait to verify both bearing numbers are the same before ordering.
    Also remove belt and listen and feel the motor bearings (and belt) while you are in there.
    Bill D

Thanks Bill. You read my mind on the next question about the motor bearings. I think the jointer was manufactured in 1995 and it hasn’t been in use since I bought it in 2004. The motor is Marathon. Should I automatically replace the motor bearings? I’m not sure I have enough experience to assess the bearings. Is there anything else I need to check/do to the motor?

Turn the motor on without the belt and listen to it coast down. Does it take more then five seconds to coast down. it should depending on pulley size and weight. With it stopped wiggle the shaft and rotate it. If you feel any movement the bearings are toasted. Any gritty sound or feel is bad.
    Bil lD