Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Telecaster Build

Frets installed

I installed the frets today. I don't own a fret press, so I've been using an Irwin one handed clamp and a 2x4 cradle+caul. It doesn't really require a lot of pressure. I wonder if a slightly thinner kerf blade would have made it more of a snug fit. The frets did require more than my finger pressure to seat, and they don't wiggle or pull out easily, but I was expecting to have to exert more effort to seat them.

It took me a few trials to figure out a workable method to glue them. Originally, I had put a couple CA dabs (Hot stuff thin) on top of the slots at the ends and the middle. This darkened the wood and was messy. Then I tried just pressing in the fret dry, and putting a dab at the ends. This worked better, but still stained the top of the wood. Finally, I decided to wipe a seal coat of Waterlox on the unfretted board, then pressing the frets in dry, and finally dabbing CA on the ends. That worked best. In fact, it made for a less stressful assembly.

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

For fret installation, use a brass hammer starting at the ends and working inward to the center of each fret. They may not seat fully with a clamp and caul like that. If you decide to continue building, there's a nice knock-off fret press for a DP on EBAY under the name "Elmer" for reasonable money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's funny you say that Jim. I actually did tap them in with a hammer. I checked each one carefully to make sure there were no gaps. Also, my caul is slightly under 12" radius. So it preferentially presses the ends. I deliberately cut my slots a tad deep - and then re-cut them after radiusing so I wouldn't risk bottoming out.

Did you cut the slots at 0.023"? Also, you'd be better off using a caul made of hardwood; I imagine that soft wood is indenting where the frets hit, or I would think so.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It's funny you say that Jim. I actually did tap them in with a hammer. I checked each one carefully to make sure there were no gaps. Also, my caul is slightly under 12" radius. So it preferentially presses the ends. I deliberately cut my slots a tad deep - and then re-cut them after radiusing so I wouldn't risk bottoming out.
    Kewel. I do have the press I mentioned if you want to do a mask-laden field trip to be sure they are tight.
    --

Finish applied

I applied the finish. Couple coats of Waterlox followed by waterbased conversion varnish (Target). Shielding is in.

Love the Target. Even that little drip on the right side of the body (first pic) during the spraying dried pretty much level.

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

Simply "delicious", Prashun!!!
    --

Finished this week. Waterlox and Target Flat Conversion Varnish. Plugged in. Seems to work. This project had a lot in common with a sculpted rocker. 50% science and routing and joints, and 50% shaping and contouring.

IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-25-2020 at 2:40 PM.

Beautiful results Prashun! How does she sound?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Pretty good. I was afraid I'd get a lot of buzzing, etc. I lucked out. I learned more about guitar set up in the last month than in the last 30 years.

I think it's quite a doable project for any reasonable woodworker with a respectable set of tools. I find with each project that a foundation in 'flat', 'square' and 'sharp' is so valuable. There were a lot of times where order of operations was important. Being able to predict that helped a lot - especially during the assembly of the neck.

Having a reasonable command of basic set of hand planes, spokeshaves, and even a drawknife really helped.

I did find great use for my spindle sander, though. Hadn't touched that in a couple years. But it's one of those tools that when you need it, it's so perfect.

Very nice, Prashun. You can be proud of this beauty!

Such a wonderful end result!!!

And yes...the spindle sander is a "staple" tool for this kind of work for sure.
    --

Very nice guitar Prashun!

Looks great, Prashun...nice work. Beautiful wood...gotta love when the finish goes on.

Prashun,
    That is a very nice electric!
    I would like to buy it from you----of course I'd need MANY lessons
    I would like to hear it when you get a chance.
    Beautiful craftsmanship!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils