Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First Telecaster Build

Nice job!! As it happens, my son has been bugging me for some time, to build a Tele with him... he's the player, - I'm not ( although I play other instruments)
    A few weeks ago he borrowed a custom Tele from a common aquiantance, which presumably had a D profile neck.... I find very little info on this...

Jim Becker turned me on to a tele forum called tdpri. Good resource with people as friendly as here.

It is a very doable and rewarding project to do . The tele has a lot of elements that make it straightforward for someone to build who has modest woodworking skills.

I in fact am doing a build with my son of a P bass. Great dad kid project. Go for it. Start a thread. You will get lots of help. Just jump in.

Tele-type is absolutely the best "first build", Helgeir. Fender's geometry has the neck and body co-planer, so there's no tiny angle between the neck and the body to deal with. And I do suggest the place that Prashun mentioned for online help. Great people just like here at SMC. (but still post the build here, gosh darnit!)

-----
    Prashun, funny you should mention the P Bass...I'm about to start a build using that same underlying design, although it will have "my" headstock shape and a body shape similar to the BroBuild with the koa top.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It will be great if you will post the in-progress photos) Good Luck

There's a Telecaster forum that's got a lot of these builds (including mine). More interest in instrument building over there.

Anyway, here's my second: a PRS style guitar with a carved top. Walnut body and neck; maple fretboard.

IMG_3908.jpgIMG_3909.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

The PRS-type is stunning, Prashun!
    --

That is a really nice, clean look - great job!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

BTW Prashun, thanks so much for sharing the builds, I've been following your build threads over at TDPRI and you're a wizard.

I'm psyching myself up for my first full build, going to be a jazzmaster. I'm probably going to build a trio of jazzmaster (for me), jaguar 3/4" size (22" short scale for the 5y/o) and a short scale leftie tele for the 7 y/o.

Matthew-
    Just do it. You already know the electrical stuff. That was the most intimidating for me. Another daunting thing was knowing where and what exactly to buy. I can send you my spreadsheet of steps and parts that I bought. It also has some dimensions in there and notes. PM me.

I agree with Prashun, Matthew...dive in!
    --

Prashun and his nice PRS-inspired instrument paid a visit on Saturday. Trust me, the photos of his guitar do not do justice to just how beautiful it is...dude does amazing work! I think it likes my Bro-Build, too...they sat together happily while we talked without fighting.

IMG_8435.jpg
    --

Jim, I learned everything from you! Your axes give me something to aspire to.

I appreciate that some inspiration came from what I've been doing, but I'm just learning this stuff for sure!
    --