Thread: Looking for steel shelf thingie

Looking for steel shelf thingie

I installed shelving, and used brackets the client wanted.
    The brackets do not have a third piece to prevent sagging - just two legs.
    Here's a screenshot of the brackets -
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.17.08 AM.jpg
    I installed them in this orientation.
    The shelves are sagging under a lot of very heavy books.
    I'm looking for a steel piece with a flange at either end, one end will be bolted through the outer screw hole on the shelf, the other end will be screw into the wall stud.
    Something like this -
    Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.11.52 AM.jpg

I'm pretty sure the length isn't crucial, I think I can bend the screw flange to fit.
    Any leads on this very much appreciated!

thanks, Mark

Blog Entries
    How would your client feel about aircraft control cable. It's basically wire rope that doesn't stretch. AirParts in Kansas City KS has it. I know that's sort of an exo-skelatal look but whatever you do isn't going to be invisible. You might as make some sort of statement.

I needed an 8' shower curtain rod once and there's no such thing. So I strung 1/16" aircraft control cable across and used carabiners to hold the curtain. I never had to tighten the cable once in the 10 years we used it. We've moved now and I can't speak to whether the new owners kept it or not. I don't envy them the task of finding replacement ends cause I turned the aluminum myself. As long as they don't throw 'em away they should be fine.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 07-20-2020 at 3:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Instead of adding another piece, why not replace what you have with something like this
    bracket.JPG

Or, take a look at metal floor bridging. There are a number of styles that might work for you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Make your own.

Get this at your local Borg for $2.97.

1/2 in. x 36 in. Aluminum Flat Bar

• Frequently used to support braces, ladder hangers or gate latches
    • Use a metal saw for cutting to suit your project needs
    • Extremely durable, lightweight and corrosion-resistant

As shown in drawing, angle brace will be under tension, so it can be very light weight material. Borgs, stock 1/8" X 36" flat iron which could be used to make them. If brackets are painted, they could be taken down, and brace welded in place. Brace could be as small as 1/8" X 1/4" if welded in place.

or use some all thread. You can bend the ends to fit.
    Bill D

Thanks everyone. I came to the conclusion to buy 1/8" x 3/8" cold rolled bar stock and make my own braces.

Mark

Use that small link chain sold to hold up light fixtures.
    Bil lD.

Also, turn some decorative columns to place in front of the brackets. These will look great and serve as bookends and hide the brackets and protect the books from brace bash. Install with a nail point sticking out top and bottom.