Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Router Plane

Small Router Plane

I've been wanting to build this router plane from St James Bay for many years. I purchased the brass rough casting about 18 months ago, and finally got to it this past weekend ...

With the aid of a file and Dremel, and Jarrah (what else!) handles turned on a lathe, this is the result ...

The blade is 1/4". The one used here is from Lee Valley.

Alongside the Veritas Large Router Plane ....

This one is going to be used.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice build, Derek. Love the casting. I have the Veritas medium router plane and use it frequently. Not sure how its size compares to yours, but it is a wonderful size for many tasks. I do think you will use it often!

PS: I do think you need to clock those knob screws to be straight across the body of the plane

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice build, Derek. Love the casting. I have the Veritas medium router plane and use it frequently. Not sure how its size compares to yours, but it is a wonderful size for many tasks. I do think you will use it often!

PS: I do think you need to clock those knob screws to be straight across the body of the plane
    Phil, I have my own version of a medium router plane, and it uses all the Veritas blades ...

Regarding the screws, it dawned on me when posting the pictures, seeing the router alongside the Veritas, that I need to remake the handles and capture the screws inside (so they do not show at the top).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I actually don’t mind the look of the screws...but I get it. Beautiful work as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I was simply impressed, but not surprised, that he had clocked them. I do it all the time, but I rarely see it done by others.

Blog Entries
    Regarding the screws, it dawned on me when posting the pictures, seeing the router alongside the Veritas, that I need to remake the handles and capture the screws inside (so they do not show at the top).
    It would look great with a pair of brass oval head screws.

Brass Oval Head.png

It could also use a shaft with one end threaded for the brass nuts like Stanley used on plane totes and knobs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The casting says ANDY? Is that from Toy Story?

Jim, I agree with the preference for brass screws, but had none that were slotted. Phillips heads just did not seem right. anyhow, I will remake the handles and capture the thread internally.

Bob, the “Andy” goes back at least 20 years. I need to search it out on the Old Tools list serve.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Again, nicely done Derek!!! Good job.
    Jerry

Funny you mention it. I have all the sizes and medium router actually is a sweat spot for the work I do. Very nice.

Quite a gem Derek! I need one!

Very cool! Forgive the dumb question. But how did it go from dull to shiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Very cool! Forgive the dumb question. But how did it go from dull to shiny?
    Clifford ... dishwasher .... after lots of scrubbing with a Dremel and metal files.

Regards from Perth

Derek

After William on Wood Central commented that he initially used the knobs from the Lie Nielsen side rebate planes on his version of the router plane, I had a look at mine, and decided to replicate these.

So .. new knobs ..

Here is the model ...

Compared with the Large Veritas router plane ...

Compared with the Small Veritas router plane ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

The new knobs look great!