Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serpentine chest of drawers

Serpentine chest of drawers

Doing another serpentine chest of drawers with more hand tools - had Phil Edwards make a convex plane for the cove rather than using a table saw.2 block.jpg3 block.jpg4 block.jpg5 dado.jpg

more pics with results of hide glue hammer veneering

veneer.jpgshoulder plane.jpgshoulder plane.jpgrouter.jpgspring miters.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 07-18-2020 at 7:06 PM.

This thing is wikkid.

The stealth *flex* of both Philly and HNT Gordon planes, too?

Thou doth suck, mightily.

Beautiful work Mark! That is very advanced stuff. Fun to do, or just masochistic

I love to look at the planes, but I love the joinery shots even more. Those are where the money is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very good stuff Mark. Thanks for starting up an interesting looking build. I am looking forward to it.
    David

Very nice work. I enjoy looking at this type of work SOMEONE else does. NO way do I have the skill set or patience to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This thing is wikkid.

The stealth *flex* of both Philly and HNT Gordon planes, too?

Thou doth suck, mightily.
    Thanks Jim, as a fellow hand tool enthusiast, you know the joy of the unplugged experience. I see some serious resawing in your avatar. Perhaps I could ditch the bandsaw and have you resaw my serpentine drawer fronts from my 8 inch thick glued up lamination of poplar/pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Beautiful work Mark! That is very advanced stuff. Fun to do, or just masochistic

I love to look at the planes, but I love the joinery shots even more. Those are where the money is.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks for the compliments Derek! Yes, some of the detail work can be a bit taxing. I take frequent breaks by visiting the HNT Gordon website and drooling over his moving fillister. Stay safe in Australia. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Very good stuff Mark. Thanks for starting up an interesting looking build. I am looking forward to it.
    Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Very nice work. I enjoy looking at this type of work SOMEONE else does. NO way do I have the skill set or patience to do it.
    Thanks Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I see some serious resawing in your avatar. Perhaps I could ditch the bandsaw and have you resaw my serpentine drawer fronts from my 8 inch thick glued up lamination of poplar/pine.

I just completed my last sojourn into that trackless wasteland. 14" wide QS Sycamore and 10" wide QS White Oak.

The Jet 18" arrives Tuesday.

Beautiful work Mark, as usual. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build. It’s going to be a stunning piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Beautiful work Mark, as usual. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build. It’s going to be a stunning piece.
    Thanks Phil. Slowly but surely...

Blog Entries
    Mark, I’m very excited to follow your build and really appreciate the challenges of the serpentine drawer fronts - Makes the joinery for vertical elements of the case a bit of a handful. I recently completed a much smaller serpentine front box and you may have just inspired me to try a larger version! In that spirit, I hope you don’t mind if you questions:

Any tips for how to lay out the serpentine curve of drawer/case fronts?

I did a Bombe chest with laminated popular glue up similar to yours for curved sides. As I recall cross grain planning of the poplar was much tougher than I anticipated. Any thoughts on the virtues of using pine versus popular for these types of curves?

I admire the consistent reveal you get with the cock beading on your drawer fronts - something I struggle with. Do you sort of rough it in and then try and plane to consistent reveal height after assembly, or Focus more on achieving consistent width of rabbit prior to assembly?

Thanks again for sharing. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of your build!

All the best, Mike