Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serpentine chest of drawers

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    One other thing i would suggest is used the fence on your router plane and a narrow iron for a marking gauge if the radii are long enough. It gives a nice square cut line.
    Can you articulate in more depth your method? Thanks James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Can you articulate in more depth your method? Thanks James.
    Mark, I discover this purely by accident. I had purchased the adapter and small irons for my LN router for stringing. I than discovered it was good for marking curved work using the fence. When I saw the picture of your marking gauge it looks much like the LN fence for curved work. The narrow irons and a light cut make a very usable mark. I did not set it up just now to demonstrate, busy working on the furnace just now. Pretty self explanatory when you see the parts.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Working on the double bead top, with end grain and long grain

scraper 1.jpgscraper 2.jpgscraper 3.jpg

Just excellent. I’m jealous of your ability to get that scratch stock to work so well. It’s one of those things that seems so easy, but I just can’t get to work. I enjoy making the stock piece, but man can I chew up a board. Did you carve out the bulk first? I appreciate any (even if it seems obvious) tips when you get a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Just excellent. I’m jealous of your ability to get that scratch stock to work so well. It’s one of those things that seems so easy, but I just can’t get to work. I enjoy making the stock piece, but man can I chew up a board. Did you carve out the bulk first? I appreciate any (even if it seems obvious) tips when you get a minute.
    Thanks Phil, I too have experienced some nasty tearout using scratch stock on cherry. Another forum member, Brian Zawatsky also mentioned frustration scraping serpentine top.jpg cherry in the past. I did carve out the bulk first after marking out with pencil. My scratch stock was from a scraper, using round chainsaw files, and then the faces rubbed on 8000 grit whetstone. To ward the evil spirits off I rolled up a bit of 2000 grit sandpaper from LV and rubbed it into the profile at 90 degrees to the face, and went back to the 8000 grit stone for the face. No burr. Perhaps one reason my scraper is working so well is that so much of the profile is curving down or up. I try to scrape downhill and the shavings fly - a nice feeling.

Thanks Mark. I haven’t given up. It will be a good winter thing to work on.

Oooo... can't wait to see this finished.

Jaw dropping! Fine fine work Mark

Serpentine molding carved with gouges fitted to case - the miters are challenging - they measure less than 90 so I divided the angle by two and cut.Attachment 440554Attachment 440555
    Carved with gouges??? I would love to see that done.

Mark,

Spectacular! I'll presume that you are happy with the outcome!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

You did not disappoint.

Kudos

Congrats Mark! A piece to be proud of. I think you have every right to sit in front of it for long periods of time and enjoy what you’ve done. Frankly, I think I’d scoot it next to the grandfather clock and stare at both. Your call!

Very beautiful, can't let the wife see this
    Ron