Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Had the most pleasant shopping experience yesterday--

Wonder how long would take for camara following mask warior to catch them with mask off.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Wonder how long would take for camara following mask warior to catch them with mask off.

I can show you hundreds of pictures of him meeting people with no mask on, including National guard troops and the President. He hates wearing it and very seldom puts one on.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I was in a store a couple of weeks ago with a basket of masks beside the hand sanitizer on a table at the door. If you needed a mask you took one, at no cost.

Masks were required as per store policy.....Rod

You hear about all the cases of covid in the city's, the hospitals,nursing homes, , the stores and all , but I haven't heard a word anywhere about the cases on our Military Bases. Have I just missed those reports or are they not saying how our Military has been affected.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The military is also struggling with this, but for good reason, it's not likely being highly publicised, outside of the aircraft carrier incident that was heavily in the news awhile back.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    This was explained to him a number of times by several people in another (now deleted) thread.
    I understand the concept of mask, but I happen to think concept is flawed. I not only have the right to believe that, I happen to have a scientific basis for it and there are other people more qualified than me who agree regarding masks & their efficacy at preventing the aerosol spread of viruses.

I'm asking you to have an open mind and maybe not trust everything you're being told. who is dying? where did they die? when did they die? That for every + COVID test there are 10,20, maybe up to 80X as many people already infected and recovered? All this information is easily available.

What % of deaths are in people >65? >80? How many children under 14 have died of COVID? In the NYC outbreak, there were zero deaths in people <18.

How many people think children spread the virus? A number of studies around the world have proven that children are a negligible source of spread, yet millions of school children will be held out of classes.

How about the data itself? There is ample evidence the death data maybe overstated. An audit by Gov. Polis in CO showed that 25% of COVID deaths were falsely attributed.

So who are we to believe about masks? The Surgeon General? Our governor? mayor? Where is the scientific data on the efficacy of masks? You have to look for the information in scientific journals and infectious disease publications, not PBS or CNN. I cited one article about masks in another thread.

But its not just about whether masks work, but what mask? how is it worn? how is it handled? The science tells us a single layer cloth mask is useless at containing virus laden droplets in a sneeze or cough, even a level 3 mask, even an N95 with an exhale port. How about when an infected person coughs or sneezes into a mask they are now breathing through a contaminated mask, inhaling untold #'s of viruses, increasing their own virus load. Guys, don't believe me - check it out. Learn about droplet sizes, how far they travel, etc. before you place all your confidence is what the authorities are telling you.

How about people touching contaminated masks? re-using masks? wearing masks incorrectly? touching the face even while wearing a mask? e.g. putting glasses on and off, etc. Touching a contaminated surface then touching their mask? Is the public being educated on this, or just expected "get the word" and follow along because "it must be right".

Before you write me off, I have a background in Microbiology, I work in the health care profession and deal with infectious diseases on a daily basis. I'm asking you to put aside your preconceptions and just spend a little time finding out for yourself. Google "masks and COVID" or "droplet spread of respiratory viruses" see what you get.

The general public has very little knowledge of epidemiology, immunology and the biology of viruses. They have been convinced masks are the way we defeat the virus. They get often get their information from equally mis/dis informed sources, who often have an agenda.

Our way out of this virus is not lockdowns & masks, but through population immunity, a vaccine, or natural genetic drift in the virus, or a combination of all three. We are seeing evidence in other countries such as Sweden, that our approach to the pandemic in the US may not have made much difference. If you believe the data, the US accounts for a disproportionate number of worldwide deaths.

In the meantime, here we are. Its now more a political/social issue than epidemiological/scientific. Authoritarian approaches like fines, people turning into "mask police" and disdainful attitudes towards people who don't go along seems representative of the times we live in.

In the meantime, we'll all wear our masks, my question is who is going to give the "all clear" and when?

I found it interesting there was a reference a politicians “audit” in the post against the politicalization of information.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    There are current articles that show software being used in companies "as we speak" to insure employees use masks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The military is also struggling with this, but for good reason, it's not likely being highly publicised, outside of the aircraft carrier incident that was heavily in the news awhile back.
    Well, and the US Marines making Okinawa mad by causing an outbreak there.

It's really too bad that there are so many people, that no matter how often they're explained something refuse to listen to it. All because of something they once heard much earlier, that's been refuted heavily since.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are current articles that show software being used in companies "as we speak" to insure employees use masks.
    My employer is using kiosks that take temperature before employees are allowed to enter the building. The kiosks also detect if the person is wearing a face mask or not, but I don't know if the kiosks alert anyone if a face mask is not present. They do alert management if someone has a high temperature.

The aircraft carrier made a unscheduled port visit in Guam to evacuate and decomtaminate. After about one month of deciding what to do they sanitized the ship and put the crew back on. They took the crew off in a few days or less and evacuated the ship again. took about two months to get it right. Only one crew member killed. At least 1,400 tested positive before the navy stopped reporting that information. The captain lost his job and only the navy secretary resigned. His superior officers, who decided the virus was not a navy problem, have faced no discipline.
    Sanitizing is not really hard just wait three days. Only the refrigerators and freezers have to be sanitized. Not sure about the air conditioning system.
    They say the military always train for the last war. I suppose this means the next war will involve bacteriological warfare and not russian supported gurellea warfare.
    Bil lD.

https://news.usni.org/2020/07/09/uss...ed-by-outbreak
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-30-2020 at 2:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    You hear about all the cases of covid in the city's, the hospitals,nursing homes, , the stores and all , but I haven't heard a word anywhere about the cases on our Military Bases. Have I just missed those reports or are they not saying how our Military has been affected.
    Bert, the Worldometer website I look at every day shows approx 38,000 cases in the US military with 58 dead. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

But it wouldn't be surprising that this data was kept down for security reasons. Especially now that they've taken data collection out of CDC hands.

Yes I think they water it down some .
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Don’t be so judgmental.

Not saying don’t wear one, but don’t think a mask will protect you that much.

N95 are best, cloth masks are useless. Touching mask, re-using mask, adjusting mask are likely more risky than not wearing

We have a mandatory mask ordinance in effect in my county for 3 weeks yet we’ve had record # of cases since then.

IMO mask wearing is highly overrated.

COVID is primarily spread by contaminated surface/touching face.

Washing hands is your best prevention.
    Wow - you could not be more incorrect! Where did you get so much misinformation?

Avoiding infection

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    ...Washing hands is your best prevention.
    For me, staying away from people is the best prevention since the research indicates viruses are spread by more than contaminated surfaces. Fortunately, isolation is easier when retired and living on a farm out in the countryside than when living in town or going to work every day. Visitors don a mask when getting out of their car. I provide masks and hand sanitizer as needed.

When I go to various farm and hardware stores for feed and supplies there are sometimes customers not wearing masks. When another customer approaches with no mask I say nothing but make a detour down another isle until the coast is clear. I choose to not let their choice risk my health.

I do wash my hands a lot, especially after handling chickens, eggs, peacocks, manure, compost, poison ivy, fuel and grease,...

I read a farmer's suggestion for social distancing: rub fresh cow manure all over your hands. Everyone will stay away. No one will try to shake your hand. You probably will not touch your face.