Thread: Under bench wood vise

Under bench wood vise

I just bought an under bench mount wood vise,
    Morgan 28A; should I inlet it flush with face of bench... more work, but better?

Instead of mortising the existing bench, apply a facing strip after flush mounting. The jaws should be lined, first so the facing is flush with the fixed jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by greg Forster View Post
    I just bought an under bench mount wood vise,
    Morgan 28A; should I inlet it flush with face of bench... more work, but better?
    Greg,

Not necessarily. Pick a side and I can make a good argument for the other.

If the rear jaw is not flush but offset it makes the vise easier to use because your hand can fit between the work piece and the face of the bench. If you want to hold a long piece in the vise it is easy to make a bench appliance to close the gap. The advantage of a flush mount is not needing the bench appliance. I've mounted metal English QR vises both ways, both work almost to the point of it makes no never mind which way you go.

I no longer use that type of vise but if I did my guess is I wouldn't bother to flush mount.

ken

Thanks Jim and Ken; great points and I never thought about adding a facing piece;

Just installing to face of bench will save me a couple hours of work

the Morgan 28A is still made today- it’s about $300 new; it is a “dual purpose “ vise, either rapid action or solid screw by sliding the nut left or right. Not sure what the advantages for this are.

Blog Entries
    I like the inner face of the vise to be even with the bench apron. I have inset my vises since my 2nd bench. I now run twin-screw vises but, the inner jaw is still the apron.

Then . . .

Center-Dog-Holes.jpg . Vise-001.jpg

Now . . .

TNNW End Vise (22).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    One thing often appreciated about my current face vise is it being flush to the bench's edge and the leg next to it. This allows clamping to the leg or the bench's apron. There are a couple of dog holes in the apron for supporting longer pieces.

At least to me, this has been much more useful than having a space between the work and the bench top where my hand can fit.

It also helps with bench accessories such as bench hooks when one is being held in the vise and one is further down the bench for support of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Greg,
    [edited]
    Not necessarily. Pick a side and I can make a good argument for the other.
    ken
    Ken, The last time my question on the advantages of mounting a vise proud of the edge was asked, it seemed only the ability to fit one's hand behind a board was offered. If you can list more advantages it might be a help to folks in the future when they are pondering mounting a face vise.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-18-2020 at 1:37 PM. Reason: words & punctuation
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing often appreciated about my current face vise is it being flush to the bench's edge and the leg next to it. This allows clamping to the leg or the bench's apron. There are a couple of dog holes in the apron for supporting longer pieces.

At least to me, this has been much more useful than having a space between the work and the bench top where my hand can fit.

It also helps with bench accessories such as bench hooks when one is being held in the vise and one is further down the bench for support of the work.

Ken, The last time my question on the advantages of mounting a vise proud of the edge was asked, it seemed only the ability to fit one's hand behind a board was offered. If you can list more advantages it might be a help to folks in the future when they are pondering mounting a face vise.

jtk
    Jim,

It is mostly two factors. The first is ease of install especially on a bench that is already built. The second is the mentioned ease of positioning the work piece in the vise. As mentioned I've had vises installed both ways. With a couple of simple bench appliances you can negate the clamping to the bench face or leg advantage. As for work positioning you get accustomed to whichever you have. The advantage of the flush mount is it is prettier if done correctly. Both ways work, it mostly comes down to what blows your skirt.

Mounting a metal face vise either way has not sent me barking at the moon mad, I've got to build another bench to fix it or I'm taking an axe to the bench. Now metal face vises are another story but that question was not asked.

ken

ken

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply Ken.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I prefer the inner jaw to be flush. Just build up the apron around the vise.

4104026708_22ff17af2d_k (1).jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Another view of the previous benchtop with the rear vise jaw built as apron.

TNNW (32).jpg

This is not what you are doing but, shows the "rear jaw even" idea.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler