Thread: Festool antistatic hoses: what are the differences here ...

Festool antistatic hoses: what are the differences here ...

This is what I have in 27mm and 36mm ...

How does this style differ, and is it more efficient at dust extraction? Is this a smooth braided wall for the outside, or id the hose non-ribbed on the inside for better flow?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I am not a Festool expert.. My understanding of the two hoses is the non-ribbed hose has two features, the first is the inside of the hose is indeed smooth, IIRC the non-ribbed hose also has a tapered internal diameter. I have three of the non-ribbed hoses and they do seem to offer better suction.

I am not so sure the non-ribbed hose will be so easy to repair, I repaired the ribbed hose many times, not so sure it will be possible with the non-ribbed.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 07-18-2020 at 7:47 AM.

Hi Robert

So you are saying that the second hose above is smooth inside? And you have three of them? The reason I am checking is that I also asked this question on the Festool forum and was informed that both were ribbed internally. I would buy one if it was smooth. I need to make absolutely they are what they appear as they are Expensive hoses.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I know that Festool makes an internally smooth walled hose, but I am not familiar enough with their model numbers to tell you for sure which one is or isn’t. I like their internal smooth walled hoses for sanding. Other than that the standard hoses are fine. If you have dedicated sanding stations like we do at work, having an internally smooth walled hose is a must. Wish that I could find a cheaper alternative to use on my vac at home!

The "new" hoses have the braided exterior - which is "smoother" than the old/ribbed style - which makes it more flexible and less likely to snag on a corner, etc. I believe the inside wall is the same - not perfectly smooth, but it's not simply the old-style hose turned inside-out.

Derek,

I attempted to take a photo, but it’s really tough to get a picture of the inside of the hose.. The inside doesn’t look like it’s totally smooth, it does have a slight ripple texture (so I learned something new today). I guess it’s a bit of marketing, compared to the ribbed hose the non ribbed is ‘smooth’..

Thanks for the effort, Robert. I am indeed curious about the interior of this hose. The absence of ribbing should improve the movement of air, and suction. The reason that this is important to me is that I wanted to add dust control to my drill press, and this has not been particularly successful with the Festool CT26E. Just not enough suck. I have cleaned the HEPA filter and long life bag. The hoses I have are not blocked. Everything seems to be working as well as it can. The only thing to upgrade is the hose, itself, and I am not sure if these ones are worth the cost of upgrading.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek
    I'm not sure what's available in AUS, but you may try to find a hose shop local to you and see if they have any ducting or industrial vac hose. The only problem that might arise is festool may have their cuffs specially sized for them. But there are ducting hoses with a smooth I.D and most industrial vac hoses (think carwash) have a mostly smooth I.D. if you do find one close by bring the old hose or cuffs with you.

Hi Derek,

I have a new and old style Festool 36mm hose, curious to your question, so I took the ends off to see what the differences were inside.

The are about the same inside, both very smooth, actually smoother then I was expecting. Here are two pictures, the one on the left is the new style, the other is the old style. Hard to tell the difference on the inside. I would expect the airflow to be very similar.

Bob

IMG_8369.jpgIMG_8371.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to do that Bob. I took some photos of my hoses yesterday, and they are very similar to yours. I‘ll post them later for the record.

There does not seem to be an advantage in buying new hoses for the internals. It is possible (and I have) purchased the external mesh covering to make for smoother sliding over equipment, and this is quite cheap.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I think the new hose does have more suction. It starts as the thicker style but tapers to the smaller style. You would think that the resulting suction would be similar to the slimmer hose but it’s noticeably better.

Having said that, the hose with the best suction is the 36mm hose in either style. Bigger hose equals more airflow. I’ve got all the major styles, old slim and thicker, new tapered. Hope this helps. If you don’t have the 36 mm hose, I’d get that in the new style. I think you will be pleased.

Thanks Pete. It sounds like the new Festool hoses are similar to the Mirka hoses, which also taper. I have three hoses, a standard 27mm Festool, a 35mm Bosch - which is identical to the 36mm Festool (but half the price), and a 27mm Mirka (for a Mirka Ceros sander). All fit on the Festool CT26E vacuum cleaner ...

Festool:

Bosch:

Mirka:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

Regarding your original issue, I had the same and solved it by hooking up to my main dust collection system, which is an Oneida cyclone. Used 4” flexible metal pipe to point the end towards the drill bit. This option provides a lot more air volume, and works much better than my prior attempts using a vac instead.

Can’t seem to get picture orientation right. Choose which way you want to tilt your head :-)

7548ED2C-A855-4754-9C74-A71ECA07E1CB.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 07-20-2020 at 2:06 PM.

Here's a shot of my dust collection for the drill press.

This is used when drilling 35mm hinge holes as that generates a lot of swarf......Regards, Rod.

DRILLING 2.jpg

Derek,

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do that Bob. I took some photos of my hoses yesterday, and they are very similar to yours. I‘ll post them later for the record.

There does not seem to be an advantage in buying new hoses for the internals. It is possible (and I have) purchased the external mesh covering to make for smoother sliding over equipment, and this is quite cheap.
    I agree. I have an old style 27mm hose that I also put a mesh covering on, it is a definite improvement.

The old 36mm hose is very stiff compared to the newer version. At some point, I will probably replace it to get more flexibility. I guess I should look into the BOSH version, but not high on my list of things to get at the moment.

Bob