Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dream machine acquired - SCM L’invicibile S50 planer

Dream machine acquired - SCM L’invicibile S50 planer

Just drug this wee beastie home after having this model at the top of my quest list for the last few years. The specs and size of this machine check all my boxes, now that I have a decent sized RPC. AND this one was only about 60 miles from home - practically unheard of compared to my other machine acquisitions

50 cm (19.685”) wide, 4 Knife cutterhead with on board grinder.
    6.6 kW (~9 hp) 230V, 3 PH motor - Motor tag kW/HP actually isn’t marked, but every other one I’ve seen precision for sale lists 6.6 kW
    2 speed feed works
    Powered table raise and lower, but can override with handwheel for full stick shift mode in the event of apocalypse.
    Weight is 1400–1500 # and it’s roughly a square 3’x3’ - fairly compact for it’s capacity, which is a big deal for my current shop.

There is limited info on this particular model online, most is in other languages, it appears to be made in the late 70s or early 80s, though that’s simply a guess.

From what I’ve read about older SCM(I) machines from this era, they don’t seem to be well supported by the company these days.
    If anyone has any sources for parts, manual, dating, etc please feel free to share in this thread.

I test drove it at the seller’s shop. It planes wood and feeds well with no snipe that I noticed. Table raises and lowers very smoothly, though the powered raise and lower didn’t seem to be working. When toggling the switch, I heard the small motor making some amount of noise but no powered up or down. Not quite sure where to start, but I noticed the insulation on the smaller wires tied into the main wires (I’m assuming go to the power table motor) are pretty frayed and need to be replaced.

The 2 speed feed also didn’t seem to be working when I tested the planer, but after investigating after getting it home I think (hope) that it was simply out of adjustment and “off track.” I moved the lever where it should have been and I hope that fixed it, though I haven’t powered it up yet in my shop. Still need to wire up an appropriate cord for the machine and a receptacle from my RPC.

Loaded with a forklift onto my trailer at pickup and I used a pallet jack and site built wooden ramp to get it off the trailer, across the yard and into the walkout basement door. I had to take the door off the hinges and pull the door stops in order to squeeze it though the opening with about 1/2” to spare overall. Pretty smooth move overall. Better than the Tannewitz Type U I moved a month or so back on just black pipe.

I know forum member Jeff Duncan has one of these little green machines. Anybody else have experience with these planers?

ps- I also posted this over on OWWM so, apologies if you frequent both places for the repeat. Mostly a different crowd between here and there, though.

89D1F35F-995C-443A-8689-B9D5332656C8.jpg

2F6579CD-16A5-4B6D-AB8E-A9DA52274CD3.jpg

269F27A5-4079-4770-BA5B-BB88BEB082E8.jpg

53B495BC-3A9F-4445-9BAC-73B83FBB4F86.jpg

02B93C95-1856-417E-B598-38B5064B2DBD.jpg

6F748371-2670-4E72-9CDE-3BEC7B402503.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 07-18-2020 at 7:27 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

For all the auctions I routinely browse—along with years of craigslist and all other manner of classifieds—I have never seen that machine. Interesting. I actually saw it on Instagram during the mass shop tour, which has proven to be an awesome idea. A lot of great machines there, wish there were more.

Congrats on the pickup. If you end up taking it apart a bit, please post photos. I’m always intrigued by the different feed mechanisms of planers. I assume this is sectional infeed roller, chip breaker etc? That’s a nice amount of power for 20”.

Great score Phillip. That is a very capable looking machine. Hope everything works out,and have fun using that planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    For all the auctions I routinely browse—along with years of craigslist and all other manner of classifieds—I have never seen that machine. Interesting. I actually saw it on Instagram during the mass shop tour, which has proven to be an awesome idea. A lot of great machines there, wish there were more.

Congrats on the pickup. If you end up taking it apart a bit, please post photos. I’m always intrigued by the different feed mechanisms of planers. I assume this is sectional infeed roller, chip breaker etc? That’s a nice amount of power for 20”.
    It’s a bit of a rare bird it seems. For the last 2+ years that I’ve had my eyes open for one, I’ve seen 3 for sale. One on IRS auctions last year that was also actually in N.C. but the timing and price didn’t work out for me at the time. One on CL in Texas that was actually a Rockwell branded SCM, but same machine. It was way overpriced and the seller had no way to test it because he didn’t have 3 phase. Then this one, which was just an hour down the road and a good bit of a better deal (so far) than both the previous ones. It came out of a retired pro woodworker’s shop who made wooden ammunition boxes.

The one you saw on Instagram was mine. Bob Miller (@masswoodworks) has one of the best woodworking feeds on there and am always happy to see what he comes up with.

I will continue to post photos as I tear into the machine (as needed) if for no other reason than to create some amount of reference for this machine. I periodically searched the web for info on this model prior to buying one, and there’s not much. It seems like such a well built and simple machine that has some real staying power.

It has a sectional serrated infeed.

Next step is to do some wiring from my RPC to get it fully operational in my shop and troubleshoot the power raise and lower function that doesn’t seem to be working. I think I want to put a Wixey digital read out for the bed height as well. The scale is all metric, which isn’t inherently bad, but it would be nice to have an digital read out in inches as well.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 07-17-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Sounds like Benny Hill was the electronics genus on this Italian job as well as the movie. I do not see the DRO for the bed height.
    Bill D.

I’m planning to add a Wixey digital read out. It’s a bit too old school to have one from the factory.

Edit: on second thought...the Wixey looks like it only goes to 6” height. This planer has a height capacity of 9 1/2”. Does anyone know of another option for aftermarket digital readout that will handle this range?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 07-18-2020 at 8:31 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I’m planning to add a Wixey digital read out. It’s a bit too old school to have one from the factory.

Edit: on second thought...the Wixey looks like it only goes to 6” height. This planer has a height capacity of 9 1/2”. Does anyone know of another option for aftermarket digital readout that will handle this range?
    10" range, much more industrial than the Wixey:
    https://www.proscale.com/products/industry-applications/woodworking-cabinets/incremental-planer-sander-kit/

I think the 24" is a little more common. Might be. some info on owwm.org. Proscale is the one you want. Typically they do a promotion in Atlanta for IWWF so you might want to check if they will have a deal even without the exhibition. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I think the 24" is a little more common. Might be. some info on owwm.org. Proscale is the one you want. Typically they do a promotion in Atlanta for IWWF so you might want to check if they will have a deal even without the exhibition. Dave
    Thanks Dave and Dan. It looks like the Proscale is $100 off (of regular price of $400.) I don’t know if that’s the IWWF promotion or not, but will look into it. Looks like a solid unit.

Dave, I’ve searched over at OWWM a good bit prior to purchasing this machine and found a handful of mentions, but nothing too detailed. It seems like it’s a bit of a rare bird, and yes, I think you’re right that the 24” (x63 models) are more common.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    50 cm (19.685”) wide, 4 Knife cutterhead with on board grinder.
    I have no experience with machinery of this scale. But I'm curious what the "on board grinder" is for? Is this to facilitate chip collection?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian this ,Grinds-sharpens knives to the same level in place in the cutterhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have no experience with machinery of this scale. But I'm curious what the "on board grinder" is for? Is this to facilitate chip collection?

Thanks!
    Brian,

The grinder is attached to the top of the machine, poised above the cutterhead on a pair of parallel rails. It’s literally a small diameter grinder wheel / motor that travels along the length of the cutterhead knives and grinds the knives while the are still installed on the machine.

From what I’m told, it can grind in very light passes which don’t necessitate resetting the heights until after several light grinds.

7A367F11-265B-490B-A2E2-574C91E07801.jpg

4B808E88-5D4F-4D84-B6C6-170ED73777A1.jpg

CD439736-99F8-4603-9FBD-F116667D3C27.jpg
    Still waters run deep.

I’ve posted a lot of photos of the feedworks, bed raise and lower mechanism, etc over on OWWM. If anyone is interested in seeing these up close shots and details, I’ll be happy to post them here. Most of my motivation for posting about this machine is to create some more details, content and discourse about these machines as there wasn’t much out there for me to learn prior to purchasing it.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 07-19-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

I have an igaging DRO for my planer. They make it in different lengths with a remote display. I got a 12" long one and it works fine. I had a round rare earth magnet that I mounted to the bottom and I just found a spot that was easy to see but out of the way. It was well under $100 so I don't know if the quality it the same as the Proscale but so far it's worked flawlessly.

Thanks guys! Wasn't even thinking about the knives...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher