Thread: Ricochet...Genie...Synrad

Ricochet...Genie...Synrad

Someone out here has to remember this product. The Genie garment laser. I purchased one back in 2006 with the intent of a kiosk in the local mall engraving jeans etc. Well... that didn't work out, but I did make a few bucks with it. It has worked flawlessly all these years, although I didn't have that many hours on the tube. It sat for awhile and the battery for the RTC (real time clock) died, and the next time I fired up the software to use it, I got a RTC Fail message. Since it is WAAAAY out of warranty, I ripped into it and found the battery/oscillator device which snap fits on top of the surface mount RTC chip. I replaced it. Now the message in the original software says that the RTC needs to be set and to call service department. Well, Synrad service has no clue as to what I am talking about and will not even acknowledge that Ricochet ever existed... Does anyone else have one of these that the battery died in and got support involved with resetting it?
    This is my last hope...It's a shame cause it really is a good unit and I can still make a few bucks with it...but unless I can get past this, it's just a silver and blue boat anchor.. The 10 watt Synrad laser in it won't get my original investment back...not even close.

thanks in advance peeps.

Genie parts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard DiMaggio View Post
    Someone out here has to remember this product. The Genie garment laser. I purchased one back in 2006 with the intent of a kiosk in the local mall engraving jeans etc. Well... that didn't work out, but I did make a few bucks with it. It has worked flawlessly all these years, although I didn't have that many hours on the tube. It sat for awhile and the battery for the RTC (real time clock) died, and the next time I fired up the software to use it, I got a RTC Fail message. Since it is WAAAAY out of warranty, I ripped into it and found the battery/oscillator device which snap fits on top of the surface mount RTC chip. I replaced it. Now the message in the original software says that the RTC needs to be set and to call service department. Well, Synrad service has no clue as to what I am talking about and will not even acknowledge that Ricochet ever existed... Does anyone else have one of these that the battery died in and got support involved with resetting it?
    This is my last hope...It's a shame cause it really is a good unit and I can still make a few bucks with it...but unless I can get past this, it's just a silver and blue boat anchor.. The 10 watt Synrad laser in it won't get my original investment back...not even close.

thanks in advance peeps.
    Hi Richard, I bought a Genie several years ago on ebay--with its Synrad laser removed--so not sure if the parts are there that you need, but you can contact me about it if you like... at the 2laser com site. It was a great idea by Synrad, and I recall when their sales rep was talking about it, that it sounded like it would be a big seller. However, that did not pan out for them, and it may have been that the Genie itself is a bit large for a counter top in a retail jeans/denim store environment. It was known to be simple to operate (you would know), but the shipping to me from the seller on ebay was surprisingly expensive as the box was so big.
    Bell
    Laser
    Seattle

Variety of CO2 lasers (glass tube and metal)
    Variety of CO2 laser machines (belt & ball screw)

I apologize for taking so long in updating this request and where it ended up. Thru linkedIn, I found someone who works for Synrad. I reached out and they contacted the defunct Ricochet product manager, who resurrected his role briefly to help me get this machine running. As I suspected, there was a software "patch" that reset the RTC. Since the system has been out of production since 2006, this was a enormous favor to me for nothing in return. I thank him, thank him, thank him...
    Now my expensive boat anchor is tattooing denim again...

If anyone else needs help with the Genie...let me know at rjd@robotmaker.biz
    Last edited by Richard DiMaggio; 09-17-2020 at 1:32 PM.