Thread: Haunched tenon question

Haunched tenon question

I see recommendations to use haunched tenons for table apron/leg joinery, but in several articles I don’t see anyone using them.

Here is no haunch and only a 7/8” tenon which is pegged.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/1990...a-writing-desk

I am making this desk (essentially) for my son to use in graduate school (probably mostly for computer gaming). Quick slap together out of poplar. Aprons are 3 3/8” wide. The 3/8” thick tenon will only be 5/16” from edge of leg - 1/8” reveal + 3/16 shoulder. Does the haunch really add strength?

Haunch or no haunch?

Thanks, Gary

Gary, I do not use a haunched mortice-and-tenon for tables. I use it for doors, particularly frame-and-panel, where the groove needs to be filled.

Look on this page: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...dtheframe.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've used it on frame and panels as well, I would not bother on a table
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I agree this is a use-case choice. Doors twist so the haunches certainly come into play. Table aprons, not so much so I don't really think about them there.

From another FWW article on M&T joints:

"The usual solution is to add a haunch, which may be either square or sloping. Both variations strengthen the joint and increase the gluing area, and the basis for choice is visual. If you want a clean, uninterrupted line at the top shoulder of the joint, you would use the sloping haunch. If you don’t mind the interrupted line or if the joint will be concealed, the square haunch is a little easier to make and a little stronger."
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-17-2020 at 1:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I worked in an old 3 story architectural mill for a few years . Everyone called "haunched", "hanced". Have no idea of
    origin. But some of the guys there were brought in by their fathers. The place was still using an old line drive set up ,
    where you ran the belt on a machine to use it. Then ran it off. Same set-up as the 19th century Smithsonian exhibit.

Thanks everyone. No haunch it is.

Can we say your hunch on the utility of haunches table joinery was confirmed?

Leave us not launch into the profane reaches of millwork as decent people will staunch haunch raunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Leave us not launch into the profane reaches of millwork as decent people will staunch haunch raunch.
    Groan! That’s just wrong right there