Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What’s your woodworking pocketknife?

I knew it from Australia when I saw the ocean, surf ,and sand ,painted on it. Beautifully done!
    I'm talk in' about Derek's knife.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-20-2020 at 7:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here is an image of my most used knives:

Pocket Knives.jpg

The two on the left are the oldest. The shape of the end of the nail file gives this away. The one at the lower left is about 35 years old. This model is no longer available. It sits on my coffee table since often my robe is my attire while sitting there in the morning. The one on the top left is my most recent find at ~$5 and is kept as a spare. The top right is of the most recent manufacture. The clue to that is the scissors uses a rivet instead of a screw. It sits by my computer. Out of habit it sometimes gets put in my pocket with the other knife there. The one on the lower right has been in my pocket for about 20 years. It was purchased when the oldest one was misplaced and thought lost. The two oldest ones have both lost their insignias years ago.

The one on the far left is a Boker and is carried often when heavier work is to be done. One time it really impressed a friend by how well it could cut rope with a single swipe. It is the only knife that has cut me in a long time. It was handled a little carelessly after sharping a few years ago. It was the first time it had been sharpened well in years.

A few of the Swiss Army knives have been purchased and given to my grandchildren.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-20-2020 at 7:24 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My favorite knife but not my shop knife. Low angle bench plane in in box wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    BenchCrafted sells the best pocket knife I've found. https://www.benchcrafted.com/mercator-knife

ken
    I picked one of these up for tickles and grins. Despite not being a single hand opening knife (which is really my preference), it's a really nice knife for the money. If I were still working carpentry, it'd live in my workbags.

The Kershaw is a lot more convenient to carry, as it's smaller, and it's spring assisted (I need to clean the tape off of it and sharpen it though)

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I picked one of these up for tickles and grins. Despite not being a single hand opening knife (which is really my preference), it's a really nice knife for the money. If I were still working carpentry, it'd live in my workbags.

The Kershaw is a lot more convenient to carry, as it's smaller, and it's spring assisted (I need to clean the tape off of it and sharpen it though)

Mike,

Glad you like it.

BTW, did you get rain today?

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

Glad you like it.

BTW, did you get rain today?

ken

Ken,

We sure did, we're either in the lee or we get hit relatively hard. How about you guys? (and yes, this is a major topic of conversation, not just pleasantries for those not in the desert)

It's a good thing I fixed the crack in the stucco last weekend, as it was on the window sill.. and water would roll through and over the adobes.. and created a leak, just to the right of a receptacle. With that said, I'm happy we're back into monsoon finally. Especially after the fire, that was a pretty miserable month here.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Ken,

We sure did, we're either in the lee or we get hit relatively hard. How about you guys? (and yes, this is a major topic of conversation, not just pleasantries for those not in the desert)

It's a good thing I fixed the crack in the stucco last weekend, as it was on the window sill.. and water would roll through and over the adobes.. and created a leak, just to the right of a receptacle. With that said, I'm happy we're back into monsoon finally. Especially after the fire, that was a pretty miserable month here.
    Mike,

Yeah, we did, hard but soaking and was just in time. All my big Agave's were in trouble. I was gone to Oregon through the time of the fire, glad I missed it

ken