Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your woodworking pocketknife?

RANGER. Bought it new for $7 years ago. Sadly, because I see they are now $28, I will have to be more careful with it.

I don't tend to use a woodworking pocket knife. For things that I'd use one for around the shop and general marking, I use a straight blade chip carving knife. For by edc knife, I like benchmade knives and carry the mini griptilian.
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    have always carried an old timer, uncle Henry
    Both are Schrade cutlery. Schrade merged with Imperial Knife Company and they are now known as Imperial Schrade (or just Imperial). The Schrade name and intellectual property (but no equipment) was purchased by Taylor Brands and used for marketing purposes. And everything is made in China. I purchased a couple of small Stockton knives because I really liked my Schrade LB-5 and LB-7 which were even warranted against loss. Great knives. The knew knives I was not overly impressed with. I did purchase a Schrade Old Timer Woodworking Carving Knife to test it, and it is not nearly as sharp out of the box as the Flexcut Carvin' Jack. I own both because I intend to attempt to carve and all I have done is test the edges. The Flexcut is ready to go out of the box, the Schrade is not nearly as sharp. They do carry a "life of the owner" limited warranty. Buck and Case have a better warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    currently this case, which my wife got me and I have come to like although I though it was too big and pretty when she first got it.
    My Dad had a Barlow, oddly, I do not. It is one of the oldest styles of knife (before 1800) and usually really durable. Case stopped making them and only recently brought them back. I don't remember if they intend to continue or if it is just for the year thing. Case does that. Yours looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    RANGER. Bought it new for $7 years ago. Sadly, because I see they are now $28, I will have to be more careful with it.
    Is their a Ranger knife company? Is it part of the Ontario Knife Company?

I know that Victorinox makes a Ranger, and the Buck Ranger is very popular (I even own one that has BOS heat treatment S35VN steel, a very very nice knife)

Andrew, its Colonial Knife Company.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    BenchCrafted sells the best pocket knife I've found. https://www.benchcrafted.com/mercator-knife

ken
    Normally I wouldn't consider a knife without a bone or wood handle but this one looks good and most important, has full carbon blades. How does it feel in the hand?

And when you use it do you find yourself humming, "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way"? (From the Benchcrafted website, "The black version is identical to the famous K55 Black Cat version made popular by 50's Bronx street gangs, we opted for the non-Katze embossed version."
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Normally I wouldn't consider a knife without a bone or wood handle but this one looks good and most important, has full carbon blades. How does it feel in the hand?

And when you use it do you find yourself humming, "When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way"? (From the Benchcrafted website, "The black version is identical to the famous K55 Black Cat version made popular by 50's Bronx street gangs, we opted for the non-Katze embossed version."
    Bill,

LOL

My hands are not big, I'm not big, but I do normally use "large" sized gloves. The knife is a perfect fit for my hands with a easy and good locking system. The blade and handle are well balanced. the steel is good and can be made very sharp. It is one of the nicest folding knifes I've found.

I don't want to over sell but they are a great knife for a really good price.

BTW, over the years I bought a lot of pocket knifes thanks to TSA, seems I never could remember to stick my knife into checked bags before going to the airport.

ken

I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid. My current pocket knife for more than 40 years is a Swiss Army knife. I use mine daily for a multitude of things. The scissors are especially handy.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Gerber 300. I always carry this one with me so it gets a lot of use in my shop. It's small, lightweight, and fits well in my pocket. I don't think they make this one any more but the Ultralight LST is the successor. Because they're small I've lost a couple (none to TSA, so far) but I have multiples. I'm kind of afraid they'll stop making them. Made in the USA too.

I don't feel quite right if I don't have my pocket knife with me.
    Gerber 300.jpg

Kiridashi

I have a Japanese kiridashi I use as marking knife and general purpose one. Absolutely great.

I am considering to purchase a second one as a backup as I am an intensive user for mine.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I have a Japanese kiridashi I use as marking knife and general purpose one. Absolutely great.

I am considering to purchase a second one as a backup as I am an intensive user for mine.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't kiridashis sharpened only on one side so you need a pair?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    I don't tend to use a woodworking pocket knife. For things that I'd use one for around the shop and general marking, I use a straight blade chip carving knife. For by edc knife, I like benchmade knives and carry the mini griptilian.
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    Jeff, I would like to know how you carry this in your pocket?

Diito Osvaldo's Kiridashi!!

Seems to me to be waiting for the unkindest cut of all!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but aren't kiridashis sharpened only on one side so you need a pair?
    The bevel face is very wide, and you can use the back and the face inter-changeably. I do.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jeff, I would like to know how you carry this in your pocket?

Diito Osvaldo's Kiridashi!!

Seems to me to be waiting for the unkindest cut of all!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yah, it sits in the toolbox until I need it. Only the mini griptilian goes in the pocket.
    556bkod_agency_1000x1000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The bevel face is very wide, and you can use the back and the face inter-changeably. I do.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ah, now that makes sense!