Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt jobsite saw AND Dewalt tracksaw OR 3 hp table saw

I don't think you will be too disappointed with ripping of either a DeWalt portable table saw or a track saw but both may need a good ripping blade for cuts deeper than about an inch in hardwood. I used my normal thin kerf combination blade in my PCS and the normal 48 tooth blade in my DeWalt track saw to cut some oak today for a leg vise. It varied from 3/4 to 1 1/8 after I ran it through the jointer and planner. Neither struggled. But if it was much thicker I would have needed ripping blades in both.

Carl,

Keep the Dewalt jobsite saw, buy a tracksaw, and buy a cabinet saw! I say this because if you're setting up a woodworking shop in your vacation home you'll eventually want a bigger saw than jobsite saw. Tracksaws work their own magic for so many other tasks that (for me) they justify their expense, I'd own one regardless of the other saws. If you wanted to save some cash on a cabinet saw there's plenty of good used saws on the market. Just be careful of the slope if you start looking at old iron, it gets slippery quick!

When looking at tracksaws you need to ask yourself, 'what is the thickest material I plan to cut?'. If you want the biggest blade the saws get expensive fast! I've had the Dewalt for a long time and if it died today I'd buy another tomorrow.

Where is your place in CO?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Carl,

Keep the Dewalt jobsite saw, buy a tracksaw, and buy a cabinet saw! I say this because if you're setting up a woodworking shop in your vacation home you'll eventually want a bigger saw than jobsite saw. Tracksaws work their own magic for so many other tasks that (for me) they justify their expense, I'd own one regardless of the other saws. If you wanted to save some cash on a cabinet saw there's plenty of good used saws on the market. Just be careful of the slope if you start looking at old iron, it gets slippery quick!

When looking at tracksaws you need to ask yourself, 'what is the thickest material I plan to cut?'. If you want the biggest blade the saws get expensive fast! I've had the Dewalt for a long time and if it died today I'd buy another tomorrow.

Where is your place in CO?
    Westcliffe- about one hour from Salida or Canon City, 1.5 hours from CO Springs and 3 hours from Denver..... 12 hours from Texas. LOL

I imagine 8/4 would be the thickest I would cut. Was hoping for this I could use the track saw.

Which tracksaw has the squaring attachment so I don't need two pencil marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Carl, were it me, I'd keep the DeWalt jobsite saw for now...at least it's a good one...and get the track saw. See how much woodworking you do at the vacation home and what kind of projects they are. Make any decisions on more robust gear once you determine what will be suit your real needs. It's absolutely true that a cabinet saw is going to "out saw" the tool you have now...but given this will at least for now be your "second shop", let things develop a little. You may even have better choices in a year or two once you get settled into a routine at the vacation home.
    Thanks Jim, maybe I can find a good used cabinet saw on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post

Which tracksaw has the squaring attachment so I don't need two pencil marks?
    If you’re referring to the squares that attach to the track, I would not rely on those for accuracy, at least not for cabinetry. There are bench systems like the MFT and Parf dogs, which can be used to square up panels.

The Dewalt track saw is a good saw. Mine is used in construction and has been trouble free for a decade. Dewalt does not have a good system of accessories, however, for things like making cabinets.

They do offer two squares that attach to the rails, one at fixed 90 and the other is a protractor for angles. The fixed 90 is not 90 degrees in my case. Close enough for short cross cuts in construction lumber, but not sufficient for squaring up panels. There is too much rail and not enough registration on the reference edge to get reliably square panels.

If you’re going to use a track saw for squaring panels, there are many more options for the Festool system. Makita uses a similar track and Dewalt supposedly runs on the Festool track. It seems like you spend as much money on these track saw components getting to the accuracy of a cabinet saw. The track saw is a winner on portability, however, even if that portability is just folding it all up to store in the garage.

I’ve got to go...make a bath vanity with my track saw. Two pencil marks and all 😝. The stationary tools are all in storage waiting on completion of the new shop. The carcass and doors will be made entirely with the track saw as I don’t have a zero clearance insert in the jobsite table saw. Slow but sure.