Thread: Powermatic PM-1500 Bandsaw Mobile Base

Powermatic PM-1500 Bandsaw Mobile Base

Hi All, I am awaiting delivery of a Powermatic PM-1500 Bandsaw Mobile Base. I would like to get your recommendations for a mobile base. Does anyone have this bandsaw on a mobile base? Thank You.

You say you’re getting a mobile base delivered, but you want opinions on other mobile bases?

Blog Entries
    Perhaps he means he is waiting for the saw and wants info about a base(?). For a larger bandsaw, avoid bases that require that one corner be lifted and then another like many that you see. These are good bases, the one-corner-at-a-time raising is just a little wonky for drill presses, bandsaws . . . anything tall or top heavy. My 17" bandsaw is on a Shop Fox base. After a recent move, the movers did not remove the saw from the base as instructed but, used the base to move the saw to and from the truck. End result, the casters were damaged. I replaced them with the steel wheels Grizzly offers (they also offer the base this way) and they work great. I am on concrete so if you are on wood I would use the urethane wheel option. Short story, the lift and lock mechanism works well for top heavy items.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the PM1500 (really great bandsaw btw) and used the Jet mobile base PM recommends. It works very well and locks down tight. I first bolted two pieces of 3/4" plywood to the mobile base and then lag screwed the Bandsaw to the plywood, so it's very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You say you’re getting a mobile base delivered, but you want opinions on other mobile bases?
    That was a mistake. I did a cut and paste. Only ordered bandsaw. Trying to decide on the best mobile base.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
    I have the PM1500 (really great bandsaw btw) and used the Jet mobile base PM recommends. It works very well and locks down tight. I first bolted two pieces of 3/4" plywood to the mobile base and then lag screwed the Bandsaw to the plywood, so it's very stable.
    Eric
    Thank you for the info.
    Bob

Glenn
    I never thought about the issue of raising one corner at a time with a top heavy tool. I am on concrete so steel wheels would be good. Which Shop Fox base are you using?
    Thank You
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Perhaps he means he is waiting for the saw and wants info about a base(?). For a larger bandsaw, avoid bases that require that one corner be lifted and then another like many that you see. These are good bases, the one-corner-at-a-time raising is just a little wonky for drill presses, bandsaws . . . anything tall or top heavy. My 17" bandsaw is on a Shop Fox base. After a recent move, the movers did not remove the saw from the base as instructed but, used the base to move the saw to and from the truck. End result, the casters were damaged. I replaced them with the steel wheels Grizzly offers (they also offer the base this way) and they work great. I am on concrete so if you are on wood I would use the urethane wheel option. Short story, the lift and lock mechanism works well for top heavy items.
    Which Shop Fox mobile base do you have. What is the lift and lock mechanism you are referring to?
    thank you
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lerner View Post
    Glenn
    I never thought about the issue of raising one corner at a time with a top heavy tool. I am on concrete so steel wheels would be good. Which Shop Fox base are you using?
    Thank You
    Bob
    With my retrofit of the steel wheels it is the D2058A. Happens to be on sale right now if that helps.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn
    Thank You
    Bob