Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Have to Keep Resetting My Internet Router?

I had the exact same problem. Put up with it for years. Installed new router and solved the problem.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If it's ATT Uverse, have them replace the modem. That's more likely the problem than the router.

I have ATT Uverse and every now and again I get slow performance. If I turn the modem off and then on, it usually fixes the problem.

I have the most current modem.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If it's ATT Uverse, have them replace the modem. That's more likely the problem than the router.

I have ATT Uverse and every now and again I get slow performance. If I turn the modem off and then on, it usually fixes the problem.

I have the most current modem.

Mike

Once more it's DSl, which should be DSI, as in Damn Slow Internet. As for using router hacked, that would be like stealing a car with four flat tires to rob a bank.

Remember when it used to be like:
    slow.jpg

The first actual download I ever witnessed, took almost 20 minutes to download a 3-frame gif,
    pretty sure a 14.4k modem was at work there...

I remember when I got 640k DSL after living with 56k for 3 or 4 years, WOW! Now, my 25m cable is considered slow...

As to routers in general, I'm on my fourth in about 20 years, 5 year life span? The others just quit working right...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I remember acoustic couplers that you had to put your phone handset on

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Once more it's DSl, which should be DSI, as in Damn Slow Internet. As for using router hacked, that would be like stealing a car with four flat tires to rob a bank.
    I don't remember the years, but improvements were made to the DSL technology which allows it to operate at higher speeds in challenging environments. If you have a very old modem you might get somewhat higher speeds with a new modem.

I think all of ATT Uverse is a type of DSL technology (VDSL, I believe).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think all of ATT Uverse is a type of DSL technology (VDSL, I believe).
    ATT UVerse in more urban/suburban areas is often VDSL as they can have short copper runs to the homes from a fiber fed DSLAM "in the neighborhood". VDSL isn't employed in less dense areas, however, because of the distances. Some flavor of ADSL happens in that case. I honestly think it's horrible that folks have to put up with the lack of true high-speed access given how important it is to business, education and so much more at this point in societal development.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    But why do I have to reset my router? Any thoughts?
    If there is an interruption in the signal, some routers don't automatically reconnect. To see if your router doesn't automatically reconnect, try disconnecting and then reconnecting the signal wire deliberately. If you have a router that won't automatically reconnect then the (new) problem could be due to new interruptions in the signal, which wouldn't be a new problem with the router.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Hahaha, awesome. I wish I could dig up a picture of the phone rack with acoustic couplers and exclusion key phones we used for dial backup connections to Merchant Banks when the customer's local bell services would fail. In the realm of "back in the day" I recall upgrading to our first 2.5gig DASD storage device. Access time was in the teens of ms, it could transfer an astounding 3MB/s and it was bigger than a Frigidaire side-by-side . A few years later it was retrofitted and jumped to over 5gig; unbelieveable!!!

Of course this has nothing to do with why your router keeps dropping connection. I apologize for the hijack.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-17-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, the first personal computers I sold with hard-drives had "gigantic" 5mb drives...it was floppy disks that were actually "floppy" and cassette tapes before that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    2.5gig DASD storage device. Access time was in the teens of ms, it could transfer an astounding 3MB/s and it was bigger than a Frigidaire side-by-side . A few years later it was retrofitted and jumped to over 5gig; unbelieveable!!!.
    Used these, right? (or very close to it)

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Used these, right? (or very close to it)
    Yep. We had the removable packs too that looked like Robbie the Robot's head.

Removable Disk Pack.JPG

One of my storage cabinets in the shop is an old tape reel cabinet with the barrister-type lift and slide in doors.

Blue Cabinet Retrofit (1).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-17-2020 at 1:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I work in dev on their successors.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Glenn, the first personal computers I sold with hard-drives had "gigantic" 5mb drives...it was floppy disks that were actually "floppy" and cassette tapes before that!
    SystemConcepts.jpg
    --Late '70's System Concepts Q-IV, top of the line Character Generator.
    I made my money back then pantograph engraving the odd-named keycaps for these and several other companies.
    The engineers were figuring out more things they could make these computers do faster than the keyboard mfr's could double-shot mold new buttons to indicate the button's function...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Yes, and hooked to a teletype.

A friend of mine's father aways referred to them as "mahd dems" because he worked on some of the original ones, and knew that it was a portmanteau of "MODulator" & "DEModulator".