Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tasks, uses, differences between assembly and work tables

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I actually am 5'11" or so. On your question about the options, both perform well. The original version of the Adjust-A-Bench is heavier (for obvious reasons) and could be the better choice for a bench that will be larger or heavier. The Craftsman Hardware version is more flexible in that it could easily be incorporated in a creatively designed base or cabinet structure, etc., and it comes at a lower cost. Geoff designed the latter to make it a little easier for folks to buy the system without compromising on height adjustability, etc.
    Geoff just told me they have a "Low Boy" version that is 22" tall and has 12" of additional adjustability instead of the 26.5" tall with 16.5" additional.

Man if only that small one had a bit more length.....(that's what she said)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    Geoff just told me they have a "Low Boy" version that is 22" tall and has 12" of additional adjustability instead of the 26.5" tall with 16.5" additional.

Man if only that small one had a bit more length.....(that's what she said)
    You can make it as long as you want...you make the stretchers and source the threaded rod.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You can make it as long as you want...you make the stretchers and source the threaded rod.
    I said length, trying to be funny, when I really meant height. I wish the low boy extended more than 12 inches. I know you can make it as long as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    I said length, trying to be funny, when I really meant height. I wish the low boy extended more than 12 inches. I know you can make it as long as you want.
    It's a matter of geometry....in order to get more extension, you need longer end-components but that's the opposite you need for the "low boy" setup. The compromise would be to use the A-A-B for most work and have a torsion box available that you can throw on lower supports when you need that accommodation for something you're assembling. It's easy to store a torsion box away in the sheet goods rack or against a wall somewhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...