Thread: Coffee table

Coffee table

My dad gave me two 3+” x 17” x 144” white oak slabs a couple of years ago. I built a couch for the porch with one of them. It was a big project at the time and if doing it now, I would do a lot of things different (like make sure the miters are tight, flatten the back like I did the arms, and stabilize the cracks with epoxy). I did not know as much then as I do now and my wife wanted it to be a little rustic. Originally I put hairpin legs on it but it was too difficult to move. Recently I used some more of the oak to build some legs and put casters on it. Now we can move it to clean.

Now I am building a coffee table to go with the couch. I flattened it a few weeks ago and cut the miters for the waterfall last night and tonight. My plunge saw is a Makita with a 6-1/2” blade so I had to cut from each side. Later this week I will clean up the miters with a plane and hopefully get a good fit. One side looks good but the other has an 1/8 gap. I bought my first plane just for this purpose. I already used it to clean up the top a little where the flattening jig apparently flexed a little.

31761289-C199-443E-994E-E875BC3F27D6.jpgF08C38F3-8A84-4887-B687-423E2E1497FC.jpgF256773A-EE07-48BC-8286-CBEF1C502F2B.jpg8EE3CB74-4A92-49E1-85B0-1C464494489F.jpg

I will use #10 dominos to join it.

I think I will do the epoxy stabilization and sanding before I join it. It will be a little easier to maneuver the two pieces separately than as one. The big crack/gap on the free end will remain open.

I am still thinking about the leg on the other end. I saw an oak table on instagram (but cannot find it now) of a single 3x4 walnut leg centered on the free end and extending above the table top. It was pretty cool and I may use it unless I come up with something better.

Any suggestions as I work through this?

I finished up the table last week, pretty happy with it. Mitering the 3” slab was tough. I could not get the angle perfect so I had to use some epoxy, but only I will notice it. I like the narrow walnut leg, still not sure I should have made it proud of the tabletop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! Miter turned out pretty well from what I can see.

Thanks, Will.

Well done Will. Beautiful piece of wood. For my taste, I would have the leg go less proud of the top...maybe 1/2” and chamfer the top edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well done Will. Beautiful piece of wood. For my taste, I would have the leg go less proud of the top...maybe 1/2” and chamfer the top edges.

I struggled when deciding on the height. Before attaching it, I pushed it up and down and finally decided on that height. Not sure I would have it that high if I did it again. I wanted to chamfer it, but I was overruled by my wife.

ALWAYS follow the wife’s direction! It allows us to actually put what we make in the house