Thread: Dante's Lesser Known Tenth Circle

Dante's Lesser Known Tenth Circle

Time to change cutters pn the jointer planer. Two heads, 360 cutters, it's an all day affair. The tiny torque wrench from Park Tools is super convenient.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just did 96 inserts on my Jointer. 360, UGH but better than setting straight knives

Second pic shows that it is (about) time. What was run through this machine?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Second pic shows that it is (about) time. What was run through this machine?
    Just volume.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Time to change cutters pn the jointer planer. Two heads, 360 cutters, it's an all day affair. The tiny torque wrench from Park Tools is super convenient.
    Thanks for the tip on the torque wrench!

-- Andy - Arlington TX - Home of the Texas RANGERS

That sounds awful. My 20" machine was an awful experience. I took them all out, scrubbed the head free of all dust, blew it down with the compressor, then torqued the inserts back in. Had to be atleast 3 hours.

Takes 15 minutes to change the knives on my straight knife J/P. Tersa head knife changes are maybe 5 minutes.

John

I have a byrd head and a tersa. I agree that the tersa is faster over time, even if you factor in changing them a few times a year for 4-5 years. The insert heads are a pain once in a blue moon. They are definitely cheaper in the long run, no doubt about that. Especially for a hobbyist, four sides of carbide is almost a lifetime worth of planing needs.

I am curious about those large two-sided surfacers. How true are the boards that come off of them? Are they dead flat like i jointed them by hand and then planed them to thickness, or is there a little bow/twist/whatever once they come out the other side? Im guessing if you start with pretty flat stock to begin with that they are very good. I wonder about some boards i mill that require 2-3 passes at the jointer to flatten one face over 7-10'. If they spit out perfect lumber, that has to be a dream tool to own.
    Last edited by Patrick Kane; 07-16-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added another question

Blog Entries
    I'll take the few hours rotating inserts every year or so over knife changes every few months . Once I fall into a groove, things move along pretty quickly. I do have to take breaks or I get a stiff neck. I just put on some heavy metal and go at it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler