Thread: Man's Best Friend. Maybe.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Man's Best Friend. Maybe.

I didn't see this one coming. Since I'm disabled my daughter does the lawn care and there's corners of the yard I rarely go. Guess where the central air compressor/condenser is located?

SHMBO mentioned the air conditioning wasn't work well. That's when I remembered that I hadn't cleaned the condenser fins and then probably were plugged up. Parts were covered up but when I hit it with the hose not only did the grass and junk come off but did large sections of condenser fins. It's rotted away.

Turns out that my kind sweet lovable dog has been relieving himself on the airconditioner, the no good miserable mangy fleabag. From the places I usually wander in the yard I wouldn't have seen it. My wife mentioned about the corrosion in the air conditioner to a neighbor. They immediately said my dog's name and had a similar experience years ago.

The refrigerant charge is clearly low, the condenser looks like junk. The air conditioner is 18 years but has worked OK until now. I think I know how the story will end and that's with $$$. With the pandemic and hot weather it might be awhile before it gets going again. HVAC guys are busy now.

My question is: Has your pet cost you a ton of money in a way you didn't expect? I mean something that completely blindsided you. Our mutt has cost us money before but this... and it's going to be hot again soon.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 07-14-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Made post comprehensible, mostly